CLOSED: Christmas Swap Sign Ups

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Is it me, or has the past year flown by? I can’t believe it’s already time for our Christmas exchange! Thank you so much, LK, for volunteering to Co-Hostess

Among the suggestions of gifts below are several clever ideas many of you submitted. When you sign up, pick TWO categories by the numbers you’d like to RECEIVE and also let us know if you’re allergic to any foods or scents. Also mention the type of decorations you like or don’t like. Your Secret Santa may choose to send more than the two categories you pick.

1. Receive a Stuffed Stocking, either bought or homemade.

2. Receive an Ornament, a decorative Santa, Snowman, or Snow Woman. It’ll be up to your Buddy to choose which one.

3. Receive a minimum of six bows along with a plain wreath, homemade or bought. You as the recipient will be able to change the bows during the coming months and decorate the wreath to your liking.

4. Receive a new decorated Red or Green Garden Trowel or another new decorated gardening tool you can display inside or out. Again, it’ll be your Buddy’s choice.

5. Receive a small artificial tree decorated with traditional or non-traditional items. Non-traditional items could include shells, mirrored tiles, pine cones, feathers, sprays of flowers and leaves, or a combination of these or other items you have in your craft stash or imagination. It’s totally up to your Secret Santa how your tree will be decorated.

6. Receive food or non-food items. A few food items could be cookies, cakes, brownies, chocolates, pickles, and jams. Non-food items could include soaps, potpourri, fuzzy socks, or dish towels. Just for suggestions. Your Buddy will surprise you with their choice(s).

7. Receive a Glass Jar Candle with the scent of your Buddy’s choice.

8. Receive a regional cookbook OR several recipe note cards OR a magazine, new or used, that features Holiday recipes. Again this option will be left up to your Buddy.

9. Receive a mystery gift that begins with First Initial of YOUR User ID.

10. Receive a Large or Small garden flag OR Wind Chimes…your Buddy’s choice.

As always, our goal is to have fun as we celebrate another Christmas together and enjoy each other’s company! Put your thinking caps on, use your imagination, and brighten someone’s day with a box of gifts whether they’re on the suggested lists or not.

Fine print…..

If you have not participated in a swap I’ve moderated, prior to posting, please D-mail me your name, address, phone number and email address for my log.

All participants need to ensure your subscription is paid through January 31, 2012.

The value of the gifts you send should be around $20, excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation Number. Keep your receipt handy or D-mail me the number you use. NEVER post tracking numbers directly on our threads.

Sign-Up ENDS Saturday, November 12th, and you’ll receive your Buddy’s name shortly afterwards from either LK or me in a D-mail. Reveal your Secret Santa when you receive your package. All packages need to be Priority Mailed with a Delivery Confirmation number no later than Saturday, December 3rd.

Reserved for participants.

AmandaEsq / Amanda -- > I like all the choices but prefer #1 and #9.
I love smiley snowmen for Christmas. How can I list all my favorites and likes?! Chocolate, coffee, peppermint, golden oreos. Pink, purple, green and orange are my favorite colors but not really Christmas-y. Old fashioned traditional stuff reminds me of my Nana. Don't really care for perfume-y things, but vanilla/orange is a yummy combination. Love critters, flowers and candles.
No allergies. Have plenty of garden tools and supplies, but could use a truckload or two of mulch. And some anti-wrinkle cream. :D

Bettypauze / Betty -- > absolutely no preference. Cannot receive plants or food across the border.

Carolyn22 / Carolyn -- > Would like a stocking stuffed with homemade items or things such as gardening tape and seeds. The other ideas all look good too.

ClanCampbell / Chris -- > Will be back with choices.

Crit / Patti -- > #6 is first pick. Second picks would be:
#2 I like snowmen/women
#5 Up to my buddy
#8 I love cookbooks and other people's recipe's that they like
#9 I'm a C. If you opt for cactus, I like unusual hens/chicks, odd cactus like living rock, etc. I'm not especially "asking" for cactus, just wanted to throw that in, in case. It is ALL up to my buddy
#10 Would like to start getting yard flags, but don't have any of the holders that they go on. I also love windchimes.
No allergies. Love food, chocolate, jams and clay thingy's. (hint hint. And that's a C! ) Don't care for cinnamon type scents. Use scentsy warmers more than candles. Like scents like Thunderstorm, Enchanted Mist and Rainforest...or for Christmas Poinsettia Pine.

Cville_Gardener / Carole -- > #4 and #10
I don't care for santas, elves, reindeer, angels, stockings, holiday ornaments and so forth. We don't put up a big tree.
Not allergic to anything but not wild about a lot of overpowering scents. Cinnamon, vanilla and citrus are my faves.
Do like small decorated trees (the funkier, the better), yard art, gardening items of all kinds, mobiles, stained glass, dark chocolate, soup fixins, pastas, and coffees/teas (especially organic).

deejay9 / Susie -- > I Would love any of these #2, #3, #6, or #9 but truly anything for my new home. Love rainbow colors.

froggies_girl / Julie -- > My preferences are #6, 9, 1, 4, or 5 (I'm collecting New Orleans Saints items and their team emblem, the fleur de lis). Hyacinth, paperwhites, or other bulbs are fine. Buddy, I'm putting specifics but I'll love whatever you send. And I'd love a book that the children and I can record favorite Christmas traditions. Can be handmade or bought.

FruitOfTheVine / Susan -- > I'm picking #9 and #10 but would be just as happy with Surprises. Also love dark chocolate, jarred candles, and homemade jams or jellies. Don't send me a Fruitcake...lol, and I can't stand Chocolate Covered Cherries.

happgarden / Joyce -- > #2 and #9 Anything is ok with me. I am traditional bright red/bright green/and white Christmas person. Love surprises & homemade jelly.

jab91864 / Julie -- > I will be easy, whatever my buddy wants to send. No allergies or major dislikes.

joeswife / Debra -- > Surprise me.

lizrainey / Liz -- > #6 and #10 -- No rose smell, no coconut or cheese.

mandy97 / Mandy -- > I think I'd like #6 and either #1 or #8 - buddy's choice. I'm not a fan of floral scents, but do enjoy fruit and cinnamon scents.

Mud_Elf / Kris -- > First choice would be # 5. I would like the mini-tree as it can be our Christmas tree for this year. I would love a cowboy or beach themed one.. The cowboy is for the long suffering Ralphie. My second choice is #10 as I can always use more yard art.
Need to say we are in a tiny place so any types of scents over power us so no candles or anything like that PLEASE. And we are on restricted diets so food is out too.

purpbutfly / Cindy -- > I would rather be totally surprised. Let my buddy decide what she wants to send me. No candles though because I make candles myself. Would like to have a butterfly tree.

ridesredmule / Char -- > #5 and #9 and #10. I can't stand smelly candles. I'm not a candle lover. Can't even go into one of those perfume places. Lord help me around those cinnamon brooms that almost take my breathe away.

Robynznest -- > #2 and #6. I love snowmen. I am allergic to oranges and most citrus fruit. Even the smell of an orange makes me sick. Other than that I'm pretty easy. A snowman and loads of dark chocolate will pretty much make me a very happy camper.

rouxcrew / Joy -- > #6 and #9

rvnsbrk / Neener -- > Thinking about it.

taters55 / LK -- > No specifics, just what ever my buddy wants to send.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2011 6:25 PM

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I'm Thinking, Maybe????? Yes, if you all can put up with clay thingies. Or want something special. We can make our own wreaths????
What so I want? #5- the tiny tree and the one with the windchime or flag.#9(?) or #10, I don't care I'll like anything.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 9:28 AM

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 5:34 PM

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 5:36 PM

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Sure I'll do it again. Sounds intriguing this year. How about 6 and 9 for me Fruity.

Joy

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Add my name too please? No specifics, just what ever my buddy wants to send!

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 10:19 AM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, indeed.

#4 and #10, please. ^_^

Pacifica, CA

me too please
# 6,#10

no rose smell
no coconut or cheese

(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

I would love to be in this but I would rather be totally surprised. Let my buddy decide what she wants to send me. No candles though because I make candles myself.

And if it turns out to be a little tree......butterflies for me ^_^

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, Cindy will understand what I'm about to say here ^_^ (since I did the same thing on her 3B swap lol)

I've been buying Christmas things as I've seen them and haven't signed up for the swap... so guess I should sign up too LOL

I'll be back to make up my mind on what I'd like to be surprised with :)

And I just renewed..bad Chris, I let it expire one day!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

GM Gee I Just Love surprises Myself & You gave so many good choices I Would love any of these
#2 - #3- #6 - #9 But Trully anything for my new Home :) I Spent my 1st night in there last night :) HEHE
Love rainbow colors

Athens, PA

Sooz - I have not done this one before - we vote on which numbers we would like to do? I have some jam I made this past summer and I do think this recipes is the best one I have tried so far....

Thinking about joining....

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hand a waving please pleasse I wanna join.
Anything is ok with me.
I am traditional bright red/bright green/and white Christmas person.
Love surprises, love homemade jelly hint hint abovve...rofl.

Editted to say, ok ok I got beat up with a wet noodle :) , I will pick two put anything is ok...rofl

This message was edited Oct 16, 2011 10:44 AM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Carolyn, you choose by the numbers which two of those items you would like your buddy to send you. Hope you'll join.

Happ, pick two, it will make it easier for your buddy.

Gosh, I'm bossy today. :-D)))

Athens, PA

Fruity - I like them all except for the storebought stocking. The stocking stuffed with homemade items or things such as gardening tape and seeds is fine though. The other ideas all look good to me too.....

Carole - you aren't bossy - just helpful :P

Athens, PA

Oh, I almost forgot - count me in please.

See, this is why I need help. Thank you, Carole. Been gone all day to a craft show. Wow! Such beautiful handmade items from glass to wood to fibers to paintings to food to candles and candies...and on and on. This is the only show I look forward to attending all year, and the best part is I got to go with my SIL who hasn't been "home" since January.

Char, you can make a wreath or any of your clay critters.

You all are to pick which TWO items you'd like to RECEIVE. It's up to your buddy to decorate, stuff, make, or bake to their liking. That way she has an idea what you like but is also free to send surprises. Will get you elves added in a few.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

May I play too.

I really like all the choices, but I think #2 and #6. I love snowmen. I am allergic to oranges and most citrus fruit. Even the smell of an orange makes me sick. Other than that I'm pretty easy. A snowman and loads of dark chocolate will pretty much make me a very happy camper.

Fruity, I'm going to send you my new address, not sure if you have it or not. oops! if I get to play.

Absolutely, Robin. I was thinking about you the other day when I cleaned my fridge. Remember the magnets you gave me for Valentine's Day? They still make me smile. Hope you're doing good, Girlfriend.

Char, I saw your edit that you're joining us when I was adding Robin, and am glad you've decided to join us. Ya know it really wouldn't be the same without a Charley or another clay critter.

Head up, folks. Our thread is going to get long pretty soon, so any of you that change your mind about what you like or don't like, please add a new post.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes I remember the magnets, cause I got me the same ones, that way I can think about you and all my DG friends. .Although during the move I think my dd took one. Oh well, it's probably not a good thing to have all those magnets on the fridge.lol

I keep mine on the side, but you should see my SIL's encrusted fridge. You can hardly find the door for all the magnets. They're like a big collage of all the places she's been and used to travel to with her job from all over the Country.

Does anybody still collect Sterling Silver charms for bracelets? I haven't thought about mine in years and is in my jewelry box. Most of them are mementos of trips we took to Florida when I was a kid and bought the charms with my allowance.

Athens, PA

Fruity

I have one of those. I have more charms to put on my bracelet, but don't have any room for more charms.......I haven't thought about that in years..

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm in, sounds like fun!!

I will be easy, whatever my buddy wants to send. No allergies or major dislikes.

~Julie

Pacifica, CA

charms... still collect them my bracelet is very full always pull it out and sit and reflect all the places and special charms.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I'd like to play in this reindeer game Froot. Too cross-eyed at this hour to read the directions at the top, but will edit this post when I come-to sometime tomorrow. ;)

Edited to say:

I like all the choices but prefer #1 and #9. :)

I was told by a guy I dated in Boston that I was TOO easy to please. Really.

I love smiley snowmen for Christmas. How can I list all my favorites and likes?! I need to do that for Neener's birthday club too. Chocolate, coffee, peppermint, golden oreos, pink, purple, green and orange my favorite color but not really Christmas-y. Old fashioned traditional stuff reminds me of my Nana. Don't really care for perfume-y things, but vanilla/orange is a yummy combination. Critters, flowers, candles, like the rest of you!

No allergies. Have plenty of garden tools and supplies, but could use a truckload or two of mulch. And some anti-wrinkle cream. :D

Loveya.
A.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2011 11:55 AM

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Why couldn't you hang them on one of those little Christmas trees. Like mini decorations....
I'm thinking of making mini birds for my tree, will that work...

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224241/#top

Ladies, there is also a Thanksgiving swap going on. It closes next week. Take a look please?

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Boy ...... sounds like about everyone is going to pick #6.... myself included! ^_^

The others are hard to make a pick from so I will let my buddy pic from these numbers and SURPRISE ME! 1,5,8,9,10

#1. I like snowmen/women
#5. Up to my buddy
#8. I love cookbooks and other people's recipe's that they like
#9. I'm a C. If you opt for cactus, I like unusual hens/chicks, odd cactus like living rock, etc. I'm not especially "asking" for cactus, just wanted to throw that in, in case. It is ALL up to my buddy
#10. Would like to start getting yard flags, but don't have any of the holders that they go on. I also love windchimes

No allergies. Love food, chocolate, jams and clay thingy's. (hint hint. And that's a C! ) Don't care for cinnamon type scents. Use scentsy warmers more than candles. Like scents like Thunderstorm, Enchanted Mist and Rainforest....or for Christmas Poinsettia Pine. The stuffed stocking could be a wonderful thing. I can think of LOTS of goodies to put in one of those! Gardening and Non-Gardening. Yippeeeeee. I can't wait for this!!!

I love Christmas but I'm with Fruity.....where did the year go? I just wanted the temps to drop 20 or 30* from what we had this summer.

Victoria Harbour, ON

If Canadians are accepted, please sign me in...absolutely no preference!

Paw Paw, MI

I'd like to join. I think I'd like #6 and either #1 or #8 - buddy's choice. I'm not a fan of floral scents, but do enjoy fruit and cinnamon scents.

This should be fun just before the craziness of December.

Mandy

Gotcha gals added, Patti, Mandy and Betty. Betty you know you're welcome to play. What else besides food and plants can't you receive across the border?

Let me clarify what I meant by a store bought stocking. One may be purchased, for folks like me who don't sew, and it will then be up to to the Sender to fill it. I didn't mean to imply we were to purchase a pre-filled stocking. Half the fun is stuffing one with personal goodies.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You know me and Christmas...almost done shopping so will have time to play!!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Betty....you are just soooooo organized! Glad you are joining!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

hO hO hO Merry cHRISTMAs... ALREADY?

this sounds fun, I like everything, almost. Please accfept my request to join in this swap.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey Sooze, I'm numbers 4 and 10. ^_^

I don't care for santas, elves, reindeer, angels, stockings, holiday ornaments and so forth. We don't put up a big tree.

Not allergic to anything but not wild about a lot of overpowering scents. Cinnamon, vanilla and citrus are my faves.

Do like small decorated trees (the funkier, the better), yard art, gardening items of all kinds, mobiles, stained glass, dark chocolate, soup fixins, pastas, and coffees/teas (especially organic).

^_^

Oops, Carole. Sorry about that and have corrected my error and also added your likes / dislikes.

Awesome, Debra! Would you like to pick 2 or just be surprised?

Betty, with your Thanksgiving behind you, have you begun bringing in your Christmas bins yet?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Another couple of weeks, have to get the witches and scarecrows over with..do have a Halloween tree set out and house decorated for little goblins then rest assured decorated it will be...you know me well! Lol

I couldn't believe Wallyworld today had already replaced most of the inside of the garden center with Christmas decor and had only two short aisles dedicated to Halloween and Thanksgiving. Talk about pushing the commercial envelope.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Main aisles in ours is Halloween,Christmas set out in others. At least they didn't have christmas carols playing..saving that for next week!

Oh but ours did to the tune of "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" playing on a CD at the end of one aisle. I about fell over watching a woman sway back and forth to the music dancing with her cart...lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.