Does anyone know this maple?

Puyallup, WA

Trying to get an id on this. Very crinkled leaves, tiny leaves only about an inch

Thumbnail by shellimac
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

it looks like it could be shishigashira or lion's mane maple.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I would say that too if grafted if not it came from that .. as said many timews Id'img Jms is virtually imposssible except with a few ShiShi and Ojishi arw exceptions .. Mikawa yatsubusa . Ryuzu etc are so distinct they can be pretty easuliy id'd also many variegates are similar ... but only two dissectum variegates at leadst ones that are sold here but rarly offered Toyama nishiki and Hana Matoi and Hana is more red .. there are some like these that you can id but many others it's a crap shoot .. once they get older sometimes you can by color but not whips or ebay twigs... if not grafted then tthere is no id involved they are monngrels not true cultivarsd ... best aleays to map out your trees tag them and keep them tags because if you start collecting and get addicted you will have trees you will not remember and you will be screwed... planted Jms make a maop and update with new and replanted dead ones .. with pots keep tags on tag and use paint marker .Most permant markers INCLUDING SHARPIES will sun off in one year ..or buy those aluminium tags that you imprint on or get posted placks pre engraved ... a lady in Indiana does those they are very nice and not too pricey you can google her... there are plenty of posts here on this that should disuede folks from continuing asking it is just a guess... and as I said if not grafted kindly don't ask it naint a true cultivar so name it anything you want.

Puyallup, WA

These are some cuttings I snitched from a customer's tree. She takes no care at all of any of her plants. I was on the same street today so took my camera. Here's a full view. I'm wondering if the very small crinkled leaves are because of no water at all for a couple months. Lower leaves look different. Thanks for your input

Thumbnail by shellimac
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Likely a shioshi .. but cuttings rarely work with Jms otherwise why graft yours will likely not make it but who knows you may get lucky unless the cutting were grafted if not good luck

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Likely a Shishi g.. but cuttings rarely work with Jms otherwise why graft.... yours will likely not make it it may do ok for a year or so or less then kaput ... but who knows you may get lucky unless the cutting were grafted if not good luck... Most nurserys won't buy cuttings from experience of them dying at any time for no reason and totally unexzpectivly .. If Jms cut be successfully grown by cuttings who would graft them .. Same with tissue culture which is going to drastically ruin the nursery industry since a small amount of tissue can create hundreds of trees... great for the consumer but will devalue what you buy what you buy like penny candy and put thousands of folks out of work... great for cheapskates who have little appreciation for what they buy and just want to impress neighbors but only with pennies tacky crap. 10 -20% take with Jms from those that have tried it ... a good pro grafter or commercial machine grafting often times 90% ... Those that have tried it once don't try it twice .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.