anyone identify this KCMO bamboo?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Can anybody tell what kind of Bamboo this is? It's in my friend's backyard and it has spread like crazy and it has become quite a problem for her. It's not running toward her house but rather towards all the neighbor's yards, except one.
My friend would like to eradicate it, she cuts it down but the next year it's ten feet tall she said. I got 6 pieces and have planted them in pots but I'm not going to plant them in the yard here, they are staying in containers, there is no way I'm giving them a chance to run here. I'd guess it's some kind of Phyllostachys but I don't know which one. I have this link to some photos of different bamboos if it helps anyone with an id. -
http://www.bamboogarden.com/cold%20hardy%20bamboo.html This is suburban Kansas City, MO., zone 5b.
Thanks if anyone can help.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2011 10:13 PM

And another -
Thanks

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here's another picture of it -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here's another shot of it a few feet away. You can see how much bigger around it was at the base and you can see it in the fence here. I'm sure it'll be back to it's earlier size next year, unless she does something drastic!
That's my pieces in the beige bucket.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

you might want to try looking here to see if you can ID this bamboo.

http://bambooweb.info

Jan

ps I wish more folks would plant clumping bamboo as they create way less damage than a tree when the tree hits a house, bamboo doesn't damage much at all.

Ok thanks Jan, I'm gonna check it out.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

if you didn't find out there, here is another forum that will be able to help.

http://www.bamboocraft.net/

Jan

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Looks like yellow grove bamboo aureosulcata

Kyle :-)

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

Definitely Yellow Groove bamboo (Phyllostachys aureosulcata), which is one of the hardiest arborescent bamboos, and most widely planted in the US. As a matter of fact, I have a small grove in the woods behind the house....

BTW, long time, no see Kyle. ;)

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

;-)

Yellow Groove Bamboo eh? That's cool, I have a little sprout of it growing outside in a big pot. There's no way I'm planting it loose in the yard with no kind of barrier. I worry enuff with the P. Bissetii in the kitty litter jugs, they are now 5 to 6 feet tall. Thanks all for your replies, I kinda lost remembering about this thread. Here's that sprout. -
Thanks, Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

shortleaf

Make sure you pot is in direct sun.

Jan

Thanks, it's in the sun.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Once it takes off watch the bottom of the pot as the roots will grow through and into the ground then you have to worry, although with the fact you have winter, the runners don't go as wild running as they do down here in the tropical environment that we have.

Keep up posted on how it is doing with pictures.

Jan

Thanks, I will meadowyck. I've repotted that Bamboo from that pot. It's still alive.
I didn't know you had posted in here, I don't watch any forums. I'll keep an eye on the roots though.
I've had that happen on other stuff, I don't like yanking the roots out of the ground, that's never good!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

mowing is the best way if your friends doesn't want the hard labor of digging to china so to speak to get all the roots out. Just keep mowing over the area.

Runners have wonderful ways of escaping pots, especially if there is a large whole in the bottom of the pot. LOL

Jan

I haven't seen that since, it wasn't looking good for her or her neighbors actually. In the beginning I don't think she knew how bad of a runner it was. Yeah, just keep mowing, what else can you do, besides dig your yard entirely up with a backhoe or something.
Oh, that big red pot up there just had little drill holes in it. It can't be feeling much like spreading for much of the year, like now, it's around 10°, going down to 2° tonite.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.