Bees, nitrogen or something else????

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

This summer I got no cauliflower heads, very few peppers and no eggplants. I did, however get lots of zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes. Did anyone else have problems getting fruits?

We had a truckload of composted cow manure put on our garden last summer, so the problem could be too much nitrogen (very big leaves on cauliflower plants, for instance). But I also wondered if it could be the dreaded colony-collapse bee problem.

TIA for any thoughts,

LAS

Thomaston, CT

I had very few honeybees this summer, but lots of bumblebees.....I know peppers don't like a rich soil, but they do like warm soil especially at night....same for eggplants....we've had such cool, wet soil this summer I only harvested a few bell peppers....more banana ones...but I didn't plant any eggplant this year because I've been disappointed in the past....I think they really benefit from having black plastic under them for the heat....

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I had very few bees as well. There were a couple of bumble bees and lots of wasps. I never get any peppers - so I don't even try, but I'm getting a bumper crop of eggplant.

Thomaston, CT

All those record-breaking temps in your city!

I planted 2 egg plants this year. They did nothing, I mean they looked like a baloon that was long and thin. You know the ear ones.

I had peppers, beets and tomatoe that would make you see red

Thomaston, CT

Yeah, my beets are awesome this year....have lots left, so I'm thinking of roasting a bunch for Sunday dinner......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.