Are organic maple products really safer or a rip off?

Molokai, HI

I support the organic farming approach and don’t mind paying higher prices for “organic” produce that is safer. However, is it valid or reasonable to pay higher prices for “organic” maple syrup and maple sugar? Are organic maple sugar trees groves ever sprayed with pesticides or fertilized with any kind of fertilizer? Sorry to be a skeptic, but I do have my doubts.

Bernie Strehler Molokai Hawaii

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Organic doesn't mean no pesticides or fertilizers--it means if the trees were treated with either one they had to be organic ones. To me one of the main benefits of organic produce is avoiding potentially harmful pesticide residues on the fruits/vegetables, and since maple syrup comes from the tree's sap it probably doesn't make much difference if it's organic or not. In this case buying organic would be a way to show your support of people who choose to farm/grow trees that way but I don't know that it'll make much difference in the syrup itself.

somewhere, PA

Might there be differences in handling? After harvest?

Here's a little info on the topic. As I'd suspected, there are differences in requirements for materials & cleaning during processing as well as requirements for the production itself.

http://www.maplesyrupworld.com/pages/Organic-Maple-Syrup.html

Tam

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 11:25 AM

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Good question Bernie and good research Tammy. Thanks for the info, I've often wondered the same myself but have gone ahead and bought the organic just because the particular brand I buy tastes best to me and my family.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.