Name this salvia

Townsville, Australia

Does anyone know this salvia, I brought the plant as salvia reptans low form, obviously it is not, as the low form has larger blue flowers, it is African
I am thinking, the flowerhead reminds me a bit of salvia nilotica,though I have grown this as well and it isnt that so I believe.

Annette

Thumbnail by salvialoveroz
Townsville, Australia

A pic of the foliage.

Townsville, Australia

Sorry having a blonde moment, try again:)

Townsville, Australia

I got to thinking that it maybe salvia merjamie, I have never had this salvia flower so not familiar with it, though the foliage is strongly scented .Anyone familiar with salvia merjamie?

London, United Kingdom

Could be either.........or a hybrid????? To be honest, I don't consider nilotica or merjamie to be garden-worthy, just curiosities.

Annette, this forum has been very inactive recently, more activity on the GW forum, though attaching photos to that can be a pain!

Robin.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Foliage certainly looks like an African sage...so not one I would normally consider for here, thou I've had a few that would "momentarily grow/bloom, then bite the dust" once our high night time humidity hits. I grow "curiosities" sometimes, because well, I'm curious ! LOL.,I don't get so worked up over it anymore. ( and Robin, please don't take that as any kind of offense, I have a great deal of respect for you and the Salvia's you've grown !!!!!)
Yeah, I wish this forum would get a bit more activity....and if anyone wants to post on "another forum I'm probably not allowed to mention" that has very user friendly photo uploading just drop me a D-mail and I'll send you a link...I'd love to boost the activity there. And you'll probably see some great old friends there...

London, United Kingdom

Why on earth would I take offence? I grow many curiosities, mainly just for interest!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

LOL...I don't know, just hedging my bets !!...sometimes I open mouth and insert foot big time...

Candor, NC

If it is S. nilotica, be careful about it seeding out all over the place. It is native of the southeastern Mediterranean Basin, and loves those conditions. There is a very distinct difference in the calyx between New and Old World sages. The former have a calyx that has a V shaped opening from the side, and the latter have five unevenly but symmetrically distributed teeth on the tips of the calyx.

Townsville, Australia

Here is an up close and personal picture of this salvia merjamie maybe.

Candor, NC

Andy Maycen, now in Hawaii, has Savana Blue, a hybrid of S. repens with S. namaensis. It is hardy in USDA Zone 7. It is not common because getting good cutting material is difficult. It goes to bloom within a couple nodes of branching.

It is a small shrub, useful in a rock garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.