Thinking ahead to 2012 plant swaps

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Yesterday as I took advantage of the beautiful weather we were having to start working on the Fall maintenance before we started getting cold weather. I pulled up my annual vincas, annual geraniums, wild ageratum and since the columbines had taken over most of the flowerbed in front of the living room window, I even ripped up some of them and discarded them. I know there will be a lot more columbines that will reseed so I didn't feel bad ripped them up by their roots. Mrs. Bradshaw geum that I wintersowed back in January is such a healthy speciman but I won't see blooms until 2012..There is another very healthy clump of plant planted next to Mrs. Bradshaw and even though I found a Malva Zebrina plant ID marker by it, I know definately it is not Zebrina. If I could come across my home made wintersowing spreadsheet, I maybe could figure out what the plant is. The raspberry bee balm has lots of small seedlings popping up. Thank you Pennfeather for sharing such beauty in 2010 with me. I plan to start ordering flower seeds to wintersown in 2012.

I'd like to think ahead to the May plant swaps. What do you think are the most popular plants shared at these plant swaps? I've been up since 3:30 am and am having a brain freeze. I only was able to make one plant swap this summer, While ordering seeds for WS, I want to order for planting

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I did 6 swaps this season (hope I didn't forget any, lol). What a great experience and have several to go out this next week. Hmm, most popular plant for me was iris, but then again 3 were specific to the iris forum so guess that doesn't count,lol. Of the other trades there weren't any repeats which is suprising. Truely there is such a diversity of plant material available. Just last week I went to a nursery that had sooo many unusual plants I just loved it and showed that fact with the amount of plants I took home, lol. Of course it helped that many were on the $1 table (end of season sales). Thinking of it later, I probably should have gotten more for all those trades next spring,lol. Will try to get my newly aquired plants in the ground and see if I have any planting time left to go shopping again. Egads!!!!! Was thinking I need to keep track of what I sent to others in case I trade with those same people again. Any suggestions on what others do? Pix has wild sunflower in back, Daisies, lavender, malva, unopened Catanche and Veronica. Just replaced sunflowers with Eupatorium (joe pye weed), Talllll aster (pink and white ), Veronicastrum v. blue and Agastache Tallll (pink/orange). Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for sharing your pictures; mind if I ask what are the pink flowers in the picture?

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix is Malva ( not sure if party girl is variety, is perenn., lightly reseeds and is3ft.) Pix is Passiflora carulea (Passion Flower Vine). Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I am organizing a Carolinas swap for May 19 if anyone is interested! :D

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Amanda,
Are you doing a seed or plant swap?
Mike

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Mike!

People are bringing both seeds and plants. Some folks have to travel light due to mode of transportation.

If you're available bring your seed stash and/or extra plants and meet us there! :)

A.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Amanda,
Can you send me the details or is there another link in the seed swap forum for this?

Mike

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ooops!

Mike I was following this thread and wondering also if a swap was occurring here. I am not planning an online seed or plant swap currently, but if you're free there's a roundup in Greensboro on 5/19...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246510/

It's bound to be fun! I've been to a few myself in VA and always come away with plant or seed surprises.

Hope to hear from you on the other thread.

A.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.