when to sow California Poppies

Nederland, CO

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best time to sow Cal. Poppies. The reason I ask is because I live in a mountain area (8650') and we have long, cold winters. The package says to sow in fall or spring. I'd love to sow now, just worried about the long winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

My friend's California poppies self sow. We are in zone 6a. I moved a couple of stray plants to my garden, but the bunnies ate them. I would sow half of the seeds now and half in spring. When in doubt, save some seeds.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I've had good luck wintersowing them. In fact, I transplanted some last winter and they are still living, and blooming now. I noticed that the bottom leaves are turning yellow but I think it might be because it is so dry. We need rain so bad..but I keep watering the flowerbeds.
The ones I transplanted last year survived the mild winter and I am hoping the new ones I wintersowed this winter makes it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

You can sow in either spring or fall, as the packet says. The plants are not hardy through the winters here... which are long and cold... and I expect the same is true there, but they self-sow and come back from year to year. In other words, the seeds remain viable through the winter, which I think is really what you're getting at with your question.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2012 6:06 PM

What gardening region are you consider in? Mid-west or Pacific NW? Maybe some gardeners from Colorado area would be the best gardeners to ask this question. We welcome any gardeners to post questions but those in your area would probably know best what grows best in your area and what their experiences growing them have been.

altagardener...I see you are located in the Rocky Mountain gardening group..I am hoping the ones that I planted last year reseed like others say. It seems here the first year they are planted, mine have always struggled but I transplanted some last Fall and this year they are doing great. Mine are a yellow/gold color; would love to get some of the mixed colors. I think there are some called watermelon colors. Bet they are pretty and very showy. I think there are some orange ones too. Which color do you plan on planting?
Good Luck!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

The California poppies are blooming and beginning to set seed as we speak here in California.
It has been a great year for them and I will have millions, more like billions of seeds by Summer.
Put them in now. If they don't go, I'll send you more later in the year.
That offer goes to anyone wanting seeds.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from Pippi21 :
altagardener...I see you are located in the Rocky Mountain gardening group..I am hoping the ones that I planted last year reseed like others say. It seems here the first year they are planted, mine have always struggled but I transplanted some last Fall and this year they are doing great. Mine are a yellow/gold color; would love to get some of the mixed colors. I think there are some called watermelon colors. Bet they are pretty and very showy. I think there are some orange ones too. Which color do you plan on planting?
Good Luck!

I don't see why they wouldn't reseed there... they bloom heavily and set lots of seed. I'm not planning on planting any others, but will have the regular orange ones that have been reseeding themselves for the last 16 years or so that we've lived here.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Pippi! I direct-sowed some california poppy seeds that you'd given me, and they're sprouting so nicely! I can't WAIT for their blooms! I remember how beautifully they looked in your garden last year. I'm going to save the seeds and sow them all around the garden this fall. They're so easy to grow, but the ones sown in part shade haven't sprouted at all. I wonder if they're waiting for the sun, or maybe the squirrels disturbed the area. I can't wait for their blooms.

Domehomedee, I can't believe yours are blooming already! I love to go outside everyday and watch the seedlings grow.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I thought I'd share some pictures. The picture doesn't do the orange/yellow justice.
Check out the flower garden, why does everything have to go off all at once!

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Yours are the color of mine, but may have a little bit more orange/yellow. Have you ever seen any other colors? Don't they have a watermelon variety or is that portulaca I am thinking of? I'd like to have a lot more next year. May plant some more seeds. I think I wintersowed the Thai silk calif. poppies but they are small plants still and won't bloom until next year probably.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I bought some "miniature yellow" ca poppies from Annies Annuals. They have been slow to start and the seeds that were on the plant when I bought it didn't germinate, probably didn't get pollinated. I also put some "Rosa romantica" ca poppies in recently, they are pinkish, I haven't seen any sign of them yet. It's a good idea that I try some others since the regular ones do sooo well in my garden. I may have to search out some more seeds to start.

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

DHD - beautiful garden - I love your color combinations!! What are the tall pink gladiolus-looking flowers?

Thanks.

TB

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Watsonia, you could grow Watsonia in Texas. I have pink and also an orange w/purple throat that I think is not hybridized.
If you'd like some let me know and I can dig you some in Fall, they multiply well so I will have extra.

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

Good Morning!

Thank you DHD....I would love some.....let me know when you dig them and I will be happy to pay you for the bulbs and shipping....

TexasBelle

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

TexasBelle,
Could you send me a Dmail requesting watsonias I will be more likely to remember to contact you in the Fall.
I will only want shipping unless you have something to trade. Dmail me and I'll contact you when they stop blooming.
Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.