i have a new project and need y'all's help

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

i broke the stem off yet another wine glass (yes, again....)
So, decided to make the best of it and think of them as tiny little terrariums. Now I need to decide what to put them in and plants to put in them.

I'm thinking of putting colored beads in the pots and sinking the glasses into that.
As far as plants go, I do have a rabbit foot fern, a tiny sago, a Dracaena 'Janet Craig Compacta' and Pellionia.
Here's a pic of the glasses; and yes, the white wine ones are lead crystal. (*sigh
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Here's one pot choice.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Here's the other pot choice.
Now that i think about it, terrarium isn't the proper word for what I'm doing. The wine glasses aren't big enough to "enclose" the plants. Unless i find a reeeeeally tiiiny plant to put in the bubble glass.
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Wht a terrific idea! I broke a wine glass just last week - and hadn't even had any wine when it happened ") I hope you'll show a photo of this when it's completed. Something small and green like baby tears somes to mind....
Entlie

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Baby tears, that's a good idea.
I'm going to look at work today. Luckily I work at a garden center!
Barb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have not seen this book myself but it has had a lot of publicity in the past few months. Maybe your library has it. The pictures and ideas are suppposed to be terrific, maybe you will find some inspiration. I think it is a great idea to re-purpose those wine glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Terrarium-Creating-Beautiful-Displays/dp/0307407314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317995893&sr=8-1

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

That does look like a great book. I bet a gardening friend of mine has a terrarium book I can borrow. She made several last winter.
And...she has a gardening book on Amazon herself!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591865336
Barb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

How bout some micro mini african violets?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

African violets...I need more instantaneous gratification (as in, I'd actually have to go out and look for a place that had some for sale). Although they are a great idea.
Today at work, I bought a Flamingo flower (Anthurium x ferrierense) that I'm planning on separating and putting in the white wine glasses. In the bubble glass I'm going to plant my satin pellionia.
Pics in a few days!
Barb

Conway, SC

How would it work if you put the colored beads in the wine glasses and stuck them down at the base of the plants?
Put the plants in the pretty pots that you showed us.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

BSD - that is a great idea also. If the plants I used (flamingo flower and pellionia) don't work out, I may just do that.
I'll post a pic tomorrow, my camera doesn't take good plant pictures in dark.
Barb

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Here's a picture of the completed project. Now to just keep it alive.......
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Charming!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Thanks! We'll see how it goes.;)
Barb

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Looks great and if the middle plant dies stick a polka dot plant in the glass.
I hate it when I break stemware wish I had know about this years ago.
Lavina

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Lavinea - another good idea. and we happen to have those at work also!

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

Terrific result. I hope they live for you.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

The pellonia was PISSED at being put in the wine glass, but finally started perking up a few days ago. The flamingo flowers are still looking good. When everybody's happy, I'll take another picture.
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.