Problem with Chamaeyparis

Zirconia, NC

Has anyone had experience with Chamaeyparis, in particular "Black Dragon"? I have had 4 of these conifers at one time. I am down to 3 now and they are not looking good. They lose whole branches that turn brown and then die. New growth sometimes begin again somewhere on the trunk but then this process begins again somewhere else on the tree. They are in various places in my gardens but I have the same results no matter where they are planted. I am in western North Carolina and I do not have clay soil. They are given Holly Tone fertilizer as are all my other conifers. I just can't figure it out and hope someone out there has had better luck with them. Thistle Gairden

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Can you check what your plants are? 'Black Dragon' is a cultivar of Sugi Cryptomeria japonica, not of any Chamaecyparis species

Otherwise - have you had an unusually hot dry summer?

Resin

Zirconia, NC

Oh Lord, I was just looking at a Chamaeyparis that isn't doing well and goofed. Yes it is a Cryptomeria and the hot weather we had was much earlier this season. That is what I thought too but it seems to happen every year. Do they grow well in England? If so maybe that is my problem since I believe you have a more temporate climate. I love the look of them when they are healthy and hate to give up on them but...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have had no problems with Black Dragon.
Mine is in ordinary soil, full sun. I don't fertalize.
It's in a bed with lots of root competition, which I presume keeps the roots pretty dry.
I like it's dense growth and deep green color.
But I find it a little stiff. Unlike my favorite dwarf conifers, chamaecyparis obtusa,
esp the bushy semi-dwarf varieties with those wonderful lush, soft fans of foliage.

Zirconia, NC

Yes, I enjoy the false cypress also. They are so soft looking and so far very troublefree. I just don't know whether to pull the black dragon's out and give up on them yet or not. We'll see how ruthless I am by fall's end I guess. Ha Ha. Thank you for responding.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.