This pic shows the true color

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Optimara Gauguin? I know I've posted pics of this bloom before, but this one shows its true color--very dark pink or fuchsia. Its so simple, and so pretty! The other buds that are opening show that they will also have some white. Anyone have a Gauguin like this? The color and pattern seem to vary on different pics I see online. Its too large of a plant to be Seurat, otherwise I'd lean more toward that one.

Thumbnail by Seaecho
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

This really is pretty! :)

Oh, btw: The cuttings are alldoing well and that little, once leafless Begonia cutting is growing like gangbusters. Thanks so much! :)

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow, the Tom Ment begonia is growing? Wonderful! How is the mamorata doing? Any roots yet? How about the tri color hibiscus? Any roots on it yet?

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

'Tom Ment' is growing and already showing all the dots on the new leaf. :)

About Aeschynanthus longicaulis: It's the accepted name (according to the Smithsonian's world checklist of Gesneriaceae) and synonymous with A. marmorata. :)

Oh, and the cutting has started growing roots and is looking fine. Seems like it's even trying to make a bud.

One of the Hibiscus cuttings is lookig great and the other one is looking okay. Seems like both are going to make it.

Oh, and the other Aeschynanthus is still deciding what to do but is looking good. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Look! Leaves! :)

This one is already starting to take off and before I know it, I'll have a monster - thank you very much! LOL

No, seriously! Thank you very much! This is a beautiful angel wing and from what I read, it won't turn into a nine foot monster... :)

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh, I can't believe how that begonia has grown for you! Incredible--it must really love Chicago! My Tom Ment is only about a foot and a half tall, so no, they don't get that big, which is nice. I just love the spotting. Mine is much darker in color than yours, but perhaps you have your under lights. Mine is in just natural light, and never gets direct sun.

OK, so the longicaulis/mamorata mystery is solved! They looked so similar to me when I looked at pics online, and now I understand! They are one and the same! So glad to hear that, since you said you didn't have one. I adore this plant! It can get very dry, and never misses a beat. I've had mine for several years now. This is your plant's "mama" when it was paler and getting quite a bit more light. This is as big as its gotten in the few years I've had it.

Thumbnail by Seaecho
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

This leaf still hasn't completely matured and I'm almost certain that it'll change to a dark green as it does.

From what I see in pictures, 'Tom Ment' seems to make a nice basket and that's what I'll be trying to do. :)

The taxonomy of the Gesneriaceae is about as tangled and confusing and ever changing as it possibly can get. I mean, we just had the Chirita split and look what that did to confuse people. Wait until the taxonomists get serious about Saintpaulia. That's when all kinds of things will be hitting the fan...

Genetic studies suggest that Saintpaulia be downgraded to a subspecies or section of - wait for it - Streptocarpus. They found out that the closest relatives of our Violets are, indeed, the Streptocarpellas... That's going to be fun... LOL

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I can't keep up with it as it is! LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I'm a glutton for punishment in this regard: I just love taxonomy and can't get enough of it. It tickles me how they keep bouncing around certain genera and how almost everything is now in the family Plantaginaceae and all this funny stuff.

Yes, I'm a geek and I'm owning it! LOL

Before I started growing anything more than a Kohleria and a few Violets, I immediately started studying up on Gesneriaceae and wow, was I in for a surprise! They have been changing around so many things, killing certain genera just to revive them several years later, they merged, they split, they renamed, they just plain kicked around all kinds of plants and genera and had people relearn everything they thought they knew over and over again...

I think that there is this secret conspiracy between the manufacturers of plant labels and taxonomists but I can't talk. They're on to me... LOL

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

OK Olaf. you've done it again. I've never grown begonia except for the garden, outside type. Now I'm impressed with your Tom Ment. I love the spotted leaves. I guess I'll just have to start collection begonia too. LOL I'll just have to make some room for them.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Uh oh! That's how it starts... LOL Well, Angel Wing Begonias like 'Tom Ment' are real easy to grow. So are plenty of the rhizomatous ones. They also come in all sizes and there are literally thousands and thousands of species, hybrids and cultivars...

Many Begonias require pretty much the same care as Gesneriads and that's the reason why so many people who grow Gesneriads grow a few Begonias as well and vice versa.

I'm just getting started into the world of Begonias (for the second time - after the first attempt failed miserably... LOL) and they turn out to be extremely fascinating subjects. :)

Just saying... LOL

Olaf

P.S.: This is Begonia 'Medora', a classic, smaller growing Angelwing. :)

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

oooh! that's a pretty one too!

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Just lovely, Olaf!

The Sinningia guttata is still hanging in there! Still a bit wilted, and I dome it at night. But at least it hasn't gone dormant. I guess its going to take a while to acclimate (?)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hey Randi!

Sinningia guttata has a tendency to make no tuber at all or only a small one. So, for the plant to go dormant wouldn't be good.

Anyhow: I have had Sinningias taking two months and more to adapt to my conditions. That's not too unusual.

I keep my fingers crossed! :)

What I find interesting is that your Violets seem to be doing just fine while the Sinningias and Kohlerias are throwing fits and another curiosity is that you are able to grow Aeschynanthus marmoratus in the open.

Aeschynanthus won't grow for me unless enclosed and for me, Kohlerias and Sinningias are much, much easier than Violets.

I even grow Sinningia pusilla, Sinningia muscicola and Sinningia 'Mighty Mouse' unenclosed and they're loving it...

Olaf

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Olaf!

It really IS strange, isn't it? My mamorata isn't even on a pebble tray. Yet Sinningias and kohlerias seem to hate my conditions. My episcias are doing fine too, and actually growing! I never expected that, otherwise I would have had them years ago. I always read about how finicky they are, and never dreamed I'd be able to grow them. I've had on and off luck with violets in the past (mostly off), but this time I've changed the culture quite a bit, and so far, it seems to be making a big difference. Are the hibiscus and Aeschynanthus putting out roots for you yet?

Randi

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

All the cuttings that I got from you have rooted and resumed growth. They'll soon be ready tobe potted up. :)

Episcias do so-so for me... They turned out not to be my favorite plants but that's okay. More room for Sinningias! LOL

I have been really starting to focus on micro mini and mini Sinningias, Kohlerias and Sinningia species and a few regular size Sinningia hybrids.

Other then that, there is my ever growing collection of Begonias and Hoyas... LOL

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

So glad to hear the cuttings have done well for you and rooted! That makes me so happy. I have several hoyas and two begonias, so I know what you mean about them being very satisfying and easy to grow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.