suggestions on ginger to grow in utah??

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

hope to glean from many of you growing gingers.. i have very sunny area..good soil
and looking to add gingers to my gardens.. i will have to dig them in fall and store for overwinter
since im in provo utah .. january temps get to 10F ..im looking for taller plants..also plants with leaf
colour too..
thanks so much in advance !!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Your best bet would be Hedychiums, Curcuma and Costus. The Alpinia's bloom on old growth so unless you can bring it into the house and keep it going through winter it's probably not a good choice .. but some do have pretty leaves.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

thanks xeramtheum.. i did buy 2 clumps of zingiber collinsii 'silver streaks'
i was thinking of growing like i do my canna musafolia.. plant in june..they go gangbusters
for me..then i dig them in late oct.. store in cool part of basement..
would u recommed same with gingers too..??
i'll have to check out some hedychiums,curcuma,and costus..
thanks again..

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That sounds about right.

Bronson, FL

Are you planning on digging the bulbs in the winter or trying to find something that will overwinter in the ground

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i will have to dig them..yes.. same as i do with cannas...im sure winter temps would
kill them if i left in the ground..
my 'silver streaks' is sure slow going.. sigh..
they have sprouted.. but just slow..
?? im thinking its needing more warmth..???
our nites are coolish still.. mid 50 F..
i dont want to give up on growing gingers.. i just havent had very
good luck with them.. so far.. :)

Bronson, FL

Well the silver streaks is a zingiber. Have you tried Hedychiums, Globba or Curcuma? Those bloom faster and grow faster at least for me.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

thanks.. i may give others a try..
i was intrigued by the foliage of silver streaks.. but..wow.. can you say...
s l o w g r o w e r
lol

Bronson, FL

LOL well try a Dr. Moy Hedychium and all the kaempherias have awesome foilage as well!

Cleveland, TX

Your challenge in growing gingers will be the lack of heat during the growing season and the lack of humidity. Cool nights will slow growth. You may want to keep them in containers while you experiment with them. That way you can just store the pot dry during the dormant season rather than storing rhizomes for as long as you will have to. Just keep them in the basement without watering.

Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

Ginger grows in shade with no direct sunlight ? Is this correct. Jam in Houston.
Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.