Hibiscus Tree

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

I have a tropical hibiscus tree that needs to be transplanted. I live in Zone 4a. During the winter the tree is inside and goes dormant. The tree does need to be in a larger container. Should I transplant it now or in the Spring? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Best time to transplant is during the growing stage, spring / summer. That being said, if the plant is suffering from the tight pot, you may do more damage by leaving it till Spring. Another method some people use (I have not tried this yet, but many do this so they dont end up with a bunch of HUGE pots) is to prune both ends of the plant. Take it out of the pot its in. Take a sharp knife. And cut the outer inch of the roots, all the way around, like your peeling a potato. This is called pruning the roots. Then you re-pot it in the same pot you took it out of, with new soil. When you do this, you need to prune the bush also! This can be done I think every other year. I could be wrong though.
Hope this helps. And if Im wrong, please someone dont hesitate to correct me, as I have never done this myself.
~Kristen

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Yep, you're right Kristen. It is a great way to keep a hibiscus a certain size.
I've done it and it isn't difficult.
Barb

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

Thank you for the advice. I am glad to learn I can continue to use the same size pot. It is the perfect size to plant into a larger container for the summer months.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.