Peach tree bark damaged

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay, getting into permaculture, I decided to plant two peach trees and one nectarine. Unfortunately for the trees, I also adopted two dogs (a two-year-old mother and her five-month-old pup) some friends had rescued. I have found the bark of the trees, the trunks of which are maybe an inch and a half in diameter, gnawed off. Should I do something about it, and what?

I am going to spray the trees with bitter apple to control the gnawing, but these are wounds, and one goes all the way around the trunk. How likely are they to just heal? Should I tape them up, or spray them with something to protect where there is no longer bark?

Thanks!

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

brigidlily, You say your dogs did this damage. It sounds more like something a rabbit or some other rodent would do. My dogs will dig a cool hole under an orchard tree to lay in when it is hot but they have never chewed on tree bark. I would expect that if the cambrium layer is completely girdled the tree will die. Not sure because I am no expert but I believe that is true. Don

Greensburg, PA

Get a can of pruning seal at your local nursery. This should help protect the wound and promote healing. If your tree has been girdled, it will likely die. You can make grafts to span the wounds of the girdled tree, if you have the right skill and do it soon enough, the tree may survive. Research "grafting" on the web to learn more. It really depends on how much damage was done.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, man. No, I really think this was the puppy. She is chewing on everything. I will get the sealer, and y'all send good thoughts to these trees.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I would also recommend a hard plastic tree guard. It will protect the trunk from the pup and the sun. You will probably have to spray bitter stuff on the tree guard too, she may think it is a really big chew toy. Giving it some root stimulant through fall might help (spring and fall is when you get the most root growth, and the top damage may be short-changing the roots). Breaking dormancy - or not - next Spring will tell you whether you lost too much bark.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, all. I pulled out the trump card and fenced the entire area. So... here's to waiting until spring to find out whether I still have trees! The leaves are still green right now, so there is no telling. Pollengarden, I will put some root hormone down there just in case. We still have quite a bit of autumn for the roots to form (two weeks ago it was still summer here...)

Think good thoughts, and I will report come spring!

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I would still do something to shade the south side of the trunk from the sun - it doesn't have to be a plastic tree collar.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

There is a privacy fence south of the tree; that shouldn't be a problem.

I just wish I didn't have to wait until spring to find out whether they are alive!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.