Rensselaer, NY

I recently installed a water-garden, and would like to know-------

What is it about Japanese Iris, more suitable for "wet- conditions" than "standard" Irises and why aren't there a larger selection, available?

Thanks!

South Hamilton, MA

The bearded irises don't like wet feet. The rhizome which is a stem, not a 'bulb' would rot. The color genetics of JI are different than the bearded irises as they are a different plant.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Where have you looked, Al? There are several places that offer them.

South Hamilton, MA

Try Ensata gardens on MI.

This is what I've been getting when I have tried to connect to Ensata Gardens for the last week, and again three times this morning:

This site does not exist within the LDAP database.

South Hamilton, MA

wow. they may be closed for the season, but usually it would say so. Talk to Polly Kinsman for advice.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I expect they're just updating their website. Seems like that happened before. Hoping for some different and new beauties from them this year. They sure are primo hybridizers.

They certainly are. Crested Surf is one of my favorites.

I miss the site since "the weather outside is frightful". It's warm enough (42+) to work in the gardens but much too windy.

Thumbnail by pirl

Ensata Gardens is back online: http://www.ensata.com/HTML/PlantPages/japanese_index.htm

Louisville, KY

i just went past this site. Why is it that the ones I like the most are usually the most expensive?

South Hamilton, MA

It depends on when they were put in commerce. The newer ones are improved plants, although there are plenty oldies which are nice.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

For all you iris lovers, I have yellow walking iris to share for postage. They have walked a little too far and need to be reined in a bit. Send me a dmail if interested.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.