Autumn Containers Garden

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

There is the beauty of seasonal changes in the air. Autumn is near, autumn is here. So it's time to celebrate harvest time, as well as bidding farewell to the growing season that will come to an end for the year-- soon. I'll share some of the garden-make-over tasks on this new thread. Please everyone join in and share your gardening joy, as well as tribulations.

We came from here the summer's progression. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1192506/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A close up of the above peach-color brugmansia's blooms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you for starting the new thread. I just love your brugs, and would hate to miss them!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Donna, if you like brugs. You need to be on the look out and find yourself a MEM (Miss Emily Mckinzie) brug. It's like one of our threads on brugs by one of our DG's member who has already mentioned. MEM is THE one to have if we can only have one. She's has been putting out blooms all summer for me. Here comes the next wave of blooms. Tomorrow, these will be a show, I'll post more pix of the garden then. Have a good evening everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some of MEM's greenish, yellow buds/trumpets turned white last night ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

... those same trumpets this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

One of the last blooming Plumerias for the growing season. This is 'Kona Hybrid #26' from Mauiplumeriagarden

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

There is no brug more beautiful than the one you sent me a couple of years ago. It jumped out of the pot. Unfortunately I was on a business trip and hubbie did not bring it in from the cold, and it perished. It brought me such joy. Perhaps in the spring I can purchase one from you. It was LOVELY! Looking at your pictures, I just miss it more!

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Donna, it has been so long I don't remember whether I sent you cutting or an actual rooted brug? As you know the ease of rooting those brugs. Next time I send you one, please take cutting at the end of the growing season, just in case something happen the the original plant itself. I saw the cannas behind those blooms too. ^_^ Did I not send you any plumerias? I thought I did.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Other late blooming container planting. This is among one of the butterflies and hummingbirds' magnets in the garden. Mexican Sunflower (an annual).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Tropical hibiscus still going strong.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Okay, here goes. The pier planting was waxing and wanning down as we're getting closer to the end of planting season ... It really needs a make-over. Pic. of 'before'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It was really scary ... a picture, fits for Halloween this year. lol (note the spider web).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Work's in progress ... I'm working at it. But it's not quite the 'after' picture I had in mind. My gardener-helper J.B. was inspecting my progress this morning, anywhooo.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The up coming two photos are under inspection. These are temporary deco. placement. In the long run, wind and storm can wipe out my effort. But for the time being it's decked out. ~ ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

2nd

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I wish I could answer intelligently. I'm the one who didn't recognize it as a plant because it appeared to be a stick. Which I thought was some dead thing. So I tossed it. And you so graciously replaced it. I can be such a dummy!

I remember that we both had a laugh about it.

Donna

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, wait a minute - the plumerias were the ones I mistook for sticks. If I recall the other two (cannas as well) took off like gangbusters but he plumeria just laughed at me. You sent them in the spring, I believe.

I'm such a dummy!

Donna

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, sorry for the misunderstanding. We all do it at one time or another. You're such a talented gardener to be able to grow brugs and canna in your temperate climate. And look at other outstanding accomplishment you've contributed in the gardening world! I could learn so much from you, Donna. It was my fault that I assumed you knew what plumerias and its culture was like. A bad assumption on my part. So, on all fairness; we both were at fault. I'll try better at communicating next time, if you'll allow me.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Back into my project at hand;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Getting closer to the finish line, but I'm not quite there yet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

No, no, you were not at fault at all. You sent me lovely things. And next time, please let me compensate you for the plants and your postage. You deserve no less! You're a doll.

Hillsborough, NC

Lily_love ~ Your project is looking wonderful! You've inspired me to go up to the attic and pull out some fall decorations. Since Saturday is the first day of October PLUS our high temps are supposed to reach only 62 degrees it should be a perfect day to decorate. Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Decolores from Hillsborough, NC. Welcome to the thread, and thank you. I'm glad you've found a little ummm to get moving forward. lol I'm glad you're taking initiative to welcoming Fall. After all it's beautiful a season. So get busy. And don't forget to take some pix and share with others here on DG.

Donna, it's very kind of you to say. No compensation is needed, yet. lol Just kidding.
Kim

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

On the way home yesterday, I saw these white pumpkins being displayed ... I envision those in my little Fall decoration this year. So here I tried 'em out. Oh J. B. my gardener helper likes it too, I think. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Okay, okay by the end of the day. My pets were not very excited with my 'artwork' no longer. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I added more pumpkins to the postcaps that were washed off by the weather over the years in which DH hasn't had time to replace. I'll add more pix. in the near future of any more revision to the containers garden. Enjoy.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kim,

Is that your property? You live in heaven from the pics I've seen. Your doggies are lovely. What breeds are they?

Donna

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks my friend. The view is beautiful yes, but believe me it has its own down side. For instance flood and tornado town. The pooches they're all 'designer pooches'. lol. But, they're loving and best gardener helpers that they'd come.

As I've mentioned before, the wind and storm could wipe out my garden unexpected. I returned home this evening and found the wind was gushing and the water choppy. Viola, plan B! Here goes. Sorry the photo was perhaps over exposed, thus the deep blue color of the sky reflection on the water surface.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Let's me try that view one more time. As one can see, the main theme is autumn. Chresanthemums and pumpkins. Others were quick color that compliments the setting for a short duration e.g. the Salvia Leucantha. I'll share more pics. of the Mums when they're in full bloom at a later day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some of the last plummies blossoms for the season.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Your plummies are even lovelier than the ones I saw in Kauai. The colors of yours are brighter and deeper.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Donna, remember those magnificient Plumeria trees from the Islands? They were real trees and not 'sticks' that we try to grow here in the US. As we're getting ready for autumn. I tried some potting plants that I can take indoor, this is my first attempt on this 'ugandense' Clero. in hope that the blooms will last through the dreary winter days.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a sweet thing! It will certainly brighten your house! And the flowers are so beautiful that it makes up for the tininess!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Speaking of the dreary days of winter. Our over night temp. was 39F, and there is snow in some part of the States. I'm so glad that 1st frost for the year isn't imminent here--yet. Otherwise, we'll have scramble to move all these indoor. So here's some beauty that lingers for the duration. MEM brug. Some of the trumpets were really affected by the sudden temp. drop and high wind.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

We went down to 34! Gross! I have so much to do to get ready. Happily it is going up to 65 later and will be in the 70's for the rest of the week. OK!!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A bit of autumn scenery under the morning sunlit.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Your home looks like paradise.

Love your doggie!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Donna, I'm glad you've enjoyed the view. J.B. my best gardener helper? He's like a pony isn't he? LOL A great companion!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

He really does look like a pony!

We are going up to the upper 70's again. Bizarre! An icy spring, a summer loaded with 90 plus days, and now bliss. Nice and cool in the morning for running, then nice and warm. It's weird, because the trees are changing color but the air is warm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.