Does Anyone Recognise This Tropical Hibiscus?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

This is one of my NOIDs that took 3 years to root and I lost the tag by the time it rooted .. can anyone put a name to this? The only other name I had on the list of cuttings I received was Rosalind, but it's obviously not Rosalind.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Could it be Love Story?

Thumbnail by blupit007
Kenner, LA

Kristen,

Great job in identifying that CV. I also believe it is indeed Love Story.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3659196

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Or 'Cherry Appaloosa', which is a single, as X's bloom is.
Some of these cultivars are so similar!
Barb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I don't think it's either .. I have Love Story and Cherry Appaloosa. It's not really doubled enough for Love Story and the patterning seems all wrong for Cherry Appaloosa.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I'm on two hibiscus mailing lists. I'll ask there.
Barb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Barb I was doing some research last night and there are apparently 2 Love Story's. One is the double and the other is a single .. it might just be the single Love Story but I don't recall getting 2 separate Love Story cuttings. That would be great though to ask the folks on your mailing lists.

Thanks!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

X, Partially true... Love Story can bloom as a Single, Double, or Cup and Saucer. And it can actually bloom with all three types at the same time. It is one of not too many cv's that can do that I believe. It is one of the traits that makes this one so special. Here is the read up on it from HVH. http://www.hiddenvalleynaturearts.com/acatalog/lovestoryinfo.html

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Blu - it's definitely one of my favorites!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Mystery solved. Phew!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Phew indeed .. I hate NOID plants! Can anyone tell me why some of my tropical hibiscus are not fully opening? They start to open and then just mildew mildew.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

i think it's all this rain that's stayed around. Mine are doing the same thing. Once the soil has a chance to dry out between waterings, they should open properly.
Barb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I hope so .. I'm missing my pretties!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.