Bread fruit!!

Virginia Beach, VA

I went to an international supermarket yesterday and found Bread fruit. I only know to boil and eat it with out anything. Is there any other way to prepare it? Any recipes will be appreciated. thanks.

Belle

noonamah, Australia

I've eaten it fried in oil as a vegetable. I have one growing at home but it's still young and hasn't fruited. There's some grown commercially here but you never see it in any of the regular supermarkets. I think they may end up in specialty Asian shops.

Virginia Beach, VA

I thank you for your response. it is good boiled. My eyes lit when I saw it because we had been here for over 25 yeras and this is my first time to see it. I shared it with a friend and she too will be enjoying it.

Belle

In the Philippines a popular preparation for breadfruit is to cook it in coconut milk. The basic ingredients are sauteed garlic and onions with ginger, salt and pepper, and your choice of any one of the following meats: diced pork, baby shrimps, dried fish, smoked fish, escargot. Add 2 or 3 whole red or green chilis if you like it spicy. Search 'ginataang kamansi' for more detailed instructions. Bon apetit!

Virginia Beach, VA

I thank you for the recipe. I have to try it!!! Belle

Here's a link to recipe for you Belle,

http://www.thepeachkitchen.com/2009/07/ginataang-kamansi-seeded-breadfruit-in-coconut-milk/

Breadfruit is variously called "Rimas" and "Kamansi in the Philippines. If breadfruit is not available, you can also use unripe Jackfruit, which is its botanical relative (both belong to genus Artocarpus).

Like I said earlier, in lieu of pork you can experiment with fresh or dried fish and other seafood. I've never seen it cooked with chicken or beef, so I guess those will not work.

Virginia Beach, VA

I thank you for the link, this does have sseeds

Belle

Laie, HI

If you would like to have a look at my garden blog there is a big write up about Breadfruit including ways to cook it that you might find helpful. aloha

Garden-notes-from-Hawaii.blogspot.com

Virginia Beach, VA

I will take a look. thanks===== Belle

Keaau, HI

Here's recipies from a Breadfruit cooking contest!

http://ntbg.org/breadfruit/resources/display/cat/7/

Virginia Beach, VA

I will definitely read and try some. It is kind of pricey here and the last one I bought was very green so i ended up wasting some.

Belle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.