Longest Lasting Blooms

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Lets make a list of those blooms that just keep going and going from one arrangement to another.
Zinnias top my list.

Thumbnail by haighr
Anchorage, AK(Zone 3b)

Good idea, haighr,
I hope you get lots of contributions to your list as I am looking for some good cut flower varieties that I can grow here. It's especially hard because not only are our summers short and cool, I don't start seeds. Have to find starts in a local nursery or convince one of them to start some flats for me.
I managed to find sources for dahlia this year, but although they had great size, stem length , etc. they would not last more than three days once I cut them. So I'm looking for new ideas.
Sharon, AK Z3/4/(5 in special spots)

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That is surprising about the dahlias. Mine last for about 2 weeks in arrangements. I don't do anything special with them, just add water.

Do you have any place where you could start a flat of seeds? Even if you had just one of zinnias they would make for a good number to cut during the short season.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Carnations woudl be on my list if I could grow them, so I will put in mums nstead!

(Hi guys! been awhile!)

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes it has, nice to see you!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

My dahlias usually only last about 4-5 days. What varieties do you have, Candee? 2 weeks is great! I even tried the sticking the ends in hotwater overnight and that may add a day or two.

Blossombuddy - I did manage to get a few carnations to bloom.

Now all we need is to get Teri to come back!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I have no idea what they are Dianne??? You know me just stick them in the ground! I know that I do have some that are cactus dahlias, but most are just big things, dinner plate size for most and some smaller. They just bloom forever and I have some that actually dry while in the water and I keep them forever in an ongoing dried arrangement because they keep their lovely colors too.

I have heard from Terri one time in the past year back in May and that was all. I wish she would poke around one of these days as well.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2011 12:54 PM

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Some of the last for this season, although there are still a few out there and no frost yet!

Thumbnail by haighr
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I had profusions sinnias blooming all summer.. now we are gettnig frosty and well, some are still goign but it will not be long. The frost yesterday took out my dahlias.. so I need to pull the tubers to store them... there are a few marigolds hanging in and mums. the asters are so so today and the gaillardias are still goign strong.. and well dandlelions! Cannas are done.. I cut them back and am getting ready to store them....could use some tips on how to on those!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Haven't had a frost, but............... we are having heavy, wet snow today to accumulate up to 8". Need I say more!!!
My zinnias in the pots!

Thumbnail by haighr
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

You can keep yer snow..we dont want it.. still enjoying a grand fall! Colors are late this year and it is just beautiful....! I feel for yer zinnias though...!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Think we will be keeping this snow unfortunately with temps in the 20's today???
Our fall was not very colorful because of all the rain and drought combos. Maybe next year.
Hoping my dahlia tubers survive until I can get out there and dig them up???

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hoping you can dig them! One reason I do containers..I can get them if there is an early snow..

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I have done them in containers the past 3 years, but not this one of course!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I pulled a few dalihas out yesterday.. need to repot them and bring them indoors. Hope they wll restart in the winter.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Have you tried canas indoors?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I don't even have much luck with cannas outdoors lol!
I dug all the dahlia tubers yesterday, got a ton of them! Will separate them today and put in boxes for storage until next season.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

How do you store yours?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I split them up with some eye on each and used to just dump them in paper grocery bags, but this year I layered them in a box with newspaper between layers. I have never fooled with the sulphur treatment or peat moss and such. I only lose a few out of a couple dozen each year.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I was thinking of just puttng them in a box with wood shavings....

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Go for it> For years I just piled them in a grocery bag or 2 and never looked again until spring?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Got nuthin to lose but plants! haha... So you got snow still, yet? No snow here.. leaves are hanging on, looks like rain coming.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Still have a few spots of snow and lots of leaves on the trees and some limbs down. We are supposed to have great weather for another week???
Started to mow to get some leaves bagged and of course the mower died again, third time this year. Hope it is not past repair? But now have to go up to the cabin to get the trailer to tote the mower to the shop so we won't be able to take our bikes out this weekend as we can't hook up the bike rack and the trailer.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I burned a belt on teh mower so now its spring before we get to do the house yard.. Owell.. not the first time. Guess I wil break out the leaf blower and burn some leaves as soon as I get a good day.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Whew, dodged a bullet, got the mower repaired at no cost!!! Just lost a bolt. Of course we had already done a ton of raking!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful day today.. sun, upper 60's, maybe hit 70.. what a glorious fall. May it last until March! Then it can green up!

Welll if I gotta dream.. yano.. dream BIG!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Lovin your dreamin big!!! Same temps here today, come on spring!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Drizzling today....only had time to water one tree.... oho oh.. need to check the plants inthe shed... !

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ha, I have a canna yet blooming ... in the shed... oh go to sleep you silly plant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.