Upward reaching branches of Japanese Plum Yew

Baltimore, MD

I would like to use a Japanese Plum Yew as an accent to cover and soften the corner of a wooden fence. In front of it would be shorter shrubs and perennials. I really like the shape of this yew. The location is ESE and it would receive some protection from winter winds from the fence. My concern is related to the upward direction of the branches. Considering the recent heavy snows we have had, would the upward-reaching branches be especially vulnerable when forced to bend downward under these heavy, wet snows? This is my main question.

Secondarily, even without snow, does this shrub firmly maintain its shape, loosely hugging the trunk? As a reference, I am thinking of the Sky Pencil Holly which does not. Its branches often have to be tied up to maintain its intended narrow, pencil-thin shape.

Thanks for your input!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

All the ones I've ever seen have been rather shapeless. Cephalotaxus fortunei from SW China is much more attractive, but I'd doubt it would be hardy in MD.

Resin

Baltimore, MD

Thanks Resin, It's funny, the only ones I have seen have seen have been for sale in garden centers, not at their full growth for sure.

Baltimore, MD

I just found an answer at Gardensandplants.com. Just as I feared, in areas with heavy snow fall, the branches of Japanese Plum Yew should be tied together in a bundle to prevent damage from breaking branches. It seems only logical. Oh well...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.