small/dwarf tree options?

(Zone 4b)

I have a garden location for which I want a (very) small flowering tree (zone 5b). My wish is that the tree be less than 8 feet tall at maturity (or I guess can successfully be pruned yearly to maintain such a stature). Much of the tree should be trunk with dense foliage only at the top i.e. not shrub like. My thought is that a spreading shrub (unlike the tree I am describing) takes up valuable ground space that can be used for annuals or perennials.

Given that I have a "Lucy" Rose of Sharon not far from the location in question I think I would like the dwarf tree be spring flowering.

What varieties of tree can you recommend?

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

The Miss Kim lilac is fairly small and blooms in spring. It is classified as a shrub but many shrubs can be pruned to a single ( or several) stem(s).
Some of the weeping fruit trees don't get too tall since their top growth is directed down rather than up. If it is trimmed to allow space underneath for shade lovers it would be attractive-I just hate to see someone prune the weepers so short that the tree looks like some weird umbrella!! All the fruit trees bloom in spring.
Although they don't bloom, some of the Japanese maples don't get real tall and they can be very slow growers. The foliage color makes up for the lack of flowers.The one's with the fine cut leaves are especially beautiful.
Just a word of advice-buy from a reliable source- we bought an evergreen labelled "Fat Albert" that was supposed to top out at about 8 ft. That was about 7-8 years age- It is now about 12 feet tall and still groing- it is a beautiful blue spruce but it is now encroaching on the sidewalks on two sides and taller than the porch roof!

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

That is very short! Have you considered a dwarf conifer instead? Some of those are quite small. Remember the label size is usually the estimated size at ten years, not necessarily the final size...

(Zone 4b)

I need 'very short'! I have decided on a "Dwarf Korean Lilac" (tree form).

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

You could also consider the 'camelot' series of crabapples.
They are extremely dwarf.

I have a korean lilac pruned to small tree form.
It's about 9ft tall. It blooms nicely, has a wonderful scent.
But the branches are starting to sprawl outward a little too much.
When I planted it 15yrs ago, it was in full sun; now starting to be shaded too much.
So the sprawling might be result of low-light growing conditions.
Surprisingly still blooms nicely despite less-than-ideal growing conditions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.