Best conditions?

Los Gatos, CA

Hi,

I have a lot of African Violets that have done really well in my window. Now I have to move them to my greenhouse. I grow Orchids dome there. So, what is the best conditions for them? Is the greenhouse too moist for them? Even though I will not mist them.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Well, I'm not too good with Violets but I would think that they'd do well in a greenhouse if you can provide for proper drainage, which shouldn't be a problem. High humidity definitely is no problem and since you grow Orchids, proper air circulation, sun exposure and temperature control shouldn't be an issue either.

I have seen mass plantings of Violets in conservatories and they looked spectacular.

The best way to find out is by trying a few spares and keep moving them around until they're happy.

I'm not an Orchid grower but I would think that where you can grow Paphs or Phals, you should be able to grow Violets. A lot of Violet growers have Orchids like this growing side by side with their Violets.

The only two Orchids that I grow are Maxillaria tenuifolia and Ludisia discolor and both are very much compatible with most Gesneriads.

Hope that helped.

Olaf

Los Gatos, CA

Thanks! I will try moving them around. I can always tell when a plant is unhappy. ( before its too late.) Drainage is good to remember too.

Montgomery, AL

You should watch for white mold on the leaves In high humidity. Circulation is key in that situation. Some say Spectracide Immunox spray works well for that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.