Dream Souffle Daylily

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

I bought Dream Souffle in the Spring of last year, not knowing that it wasn't a registered daylily. It is a beautiful double pink, which is what grabbed me! It was blooming when I bought it, and it's really gorgeous, so I had to have it! The only problem is that I'm pretty sure that Dream Souffle isn't it's real name, since it's not registered, at least not with the AHS. It is one of the All American Daylilies. I've been told that sometimes this "brand" is usually another flower with a new name on them. Sorry, but I don't have a picture, since it didn't bloom this year.

Any suggestions on what to do about it? I really don't want to use flowers for hybridizing that have a new name on them, since that takes away from the person who hybridized them to begin with. I strongly believe in giving credit where credit is due. I've gotten rid of a couple others that weren't registered but had a "new" name on them. I just didn't think it was right to use them, and they weren't exactly what I wanted anyway. Not that they weren't pretty, but it's like someone stole the flower from someone else, put a new name on it, and marketed it as a new flower.

However, I'm torn over this one because I love it so much! I know, it's like being two-faced, but I can't bring myself to part with it. If anyone knows the real name of this one, I'd be so thankful to know what it is. I can't seem to find it myself. You'll have to Google it to see what it looks like.

Thanks for any help and suggestions! I'd love to hear other opinions about this too.

Natalie

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

If you are using it to Hybridize with then I would just put Unk for the parentage as a lot of others do when it is either unknown or un registered.
It is not always the case that they don't want you to know but are unable to provide the parent info on the registration.If it is a good Hem and you want to use it them by all means do as the genes may be great and it is a shame to lose them.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

It's not that I don't want to use it, but I do think that it's a registered daylily, being sold under a different name by All American Daylilies/All American Winners. I've got no proof of this at all, but I was told that the company sells some registered daylilies with new names attached to them. I just want to know if this is the case with this particular daylily. I know I can put Unk for the parentage, but I'd much rather know the name if it is a registered one! Did you Google it? I can't imagine that this wouldn't be registered because it's stunning!

Natalie

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Don't know if this helps, but here is a bit more info about the All-American Daylily Selection Council that also mentions Dream Souffle: http://allamericandayliliesblog.com/

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

I've seen that page, and it was probably the one I found a few months after buying this beauty last year. I just find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be registered with the AHS, but there is nothing in their database under the name Dream Souffle. I really do think that it could be a registered daylily with a new name stuck on it. I've been told that All American Daylilies does that, and uses their "contest" as a marketing ploy. I know that they do sell some registered daylilies, but I'd love to know if this is registered under a different name. A couple of their other ones weren't registered names either, but I can't remember what those were right now.

Maybe they are just trying to be competition for the AHS?

Natalie

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I think it is mainly a marketing ploy on their part and I myself would not mess with them. They are not any competition to the AHS . The Pink Dble is lovely but I am sure you could fins something very similar elsewhere that would be a good plant.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

I've already got the daylily, and love it. I bought it before realizing that it's name wasn't registered. By then it was too late. It was already in the ground and I was drooling over it. I didn't buy it because it said something about being an award winner, because to me, that doesn't matter, and has nothing to do with anything I pick. I guess I'll never know if it's really another daylily with a new name. Maybe if it blooms for me next year, I'll post a picture and see recognizes it.

Natalie

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I did notice on their site on the left side a box of different things to look at. I hot the More button at the bottom and eventually got something from ATP about "your 5 Favorite Yeloows". I just posted there a cple days ago and it takes you right there. I donlt feel they should be able to do that. Made me a little uneasy.

Butler, PA(Zone 5b)

It is interesting that names on their blog are Trademarked but not registered. There is not parentage for either of those. It would be nice to hear from someone from AHS as to how to treat this. There are lots of questions about the TM? Is that an official trade mark?

Maple Heights, OH

Actually the AHS only handles the registration process which is honored world wide. Those other plants may be Patented & Trademarked but it means very little they are not recognized by the AHS or the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature. You can learn more here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Code_of_Zoological_Nomenclature

I have heard that they have in fact renamed registered cultivars and Trademarked the names. I don't know if this is true or not but this comes up every year or two.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 5:01 PM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wouldn't they have to have the permission of the hybridizer to do that???

Maple Heights, OH

In theory yes. They are not officially recognized names though.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

Lotsalilys, that is my exact point, about them taking registered daylilies and renaming them, however I have absolutely no proof that they do that. It's just what I've heard, since buying Dream Souffle. I highly suspect that that is the case with Dream Souffle, and would love to find out if it is in fact registered under another name. I can't find it, but that doesn't mean anything. I can't ever find ones that I'm looking for!

Natalie

Maple Heights, OH

I have heard that but have never been able to confirm it. There are 3 reasons why I don't purchase plants from the the box stores.

1. You can never be sure you are getting the right plant, pot tags get switched although now it seems like more often they are firmly still attached with staples.

2. Some will be tissue cultured, but I think we are seeing less of this now.

3. Price, they are often over priced unless you catch a seasons end sale.

4. Ok there is one more, I walked into my local garden center a few years ago to find every daylily covered in rust, going back to price they were 3 fan divisions of $5.00 plants for $14.99.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Natalie, I have Pixie Pagentry and I just found out that it is not registered. Now I am wondering if it is one of the changed name plants.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

The Home Depot near me buys from a local grower for the majority of their daylilies, so I haven't been as worried about the things you mentioned. Ya, I was suckered in by a pretty face, and I'm not sorry that I bought it, but I'm determined to find out which daylily it is, if it's registered. I have never got the wrong daylily at Home Depot when buying ones that weren't from All American Daylilies, so I trust them. I can't speak for the rest of the big box stores though. Well, except Walmart, and you couldn't pay me to take their daylilies! They never have the right name!

We have a grocery store here that has a fantastic nursery department, and they buy all of their plants from a local nursery too. I've been to the nursery, just to check it out (it was fantastic!), and since I like to buy local whenever possible, I always stop at this grocery store to check out what they have. They also carry an excellent selection of native plants, all from this same nursery. The plants are always super healthy, and have very good prices on them. They never have the latest and greatest, but what they have is very nice. If the nursery was closer I'd go there instead, but it's an hour away, compared to 10 minutes for the grocery store. It does help to know where it is that your stores get their plants from. Utah is really good about carrying local goods.

Natalie

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I found this old thread as I was trying to find info for Dream Souffle. I recently became aware of a company in Grain Valley MO, (I don't know where that is) and was interested in their daylilies since they are in my state. They sent me a really nice full color catalog and I was really impressed. I seen the pic for Dream Souffle and that's when I did a search. It seems that most of the daylilies in the book are accurately labeled. Does anyone know of other sources for this dl?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

http://www.americandaylily.com/browse.php?name=dream+souffle

interesting, the stats match also.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Frillylilly, it does look like Oaks third pic on top line to me.

Butler, PA(Zone 5b)

It seems as though Mike and Frilly are right on.... I did a very close comparison and the American Daylily appears to be a slightly cropped version of the Oakes' Dublin Elaine 3rd from the top photo.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Wldrnss, you have a good eye. Thanks for your input. Mike

West St. Paul, MN

I, too, found this old thread about 'Dream Souffle'. As you stated, it is not registered. Yes, it looks identical to 'Dublain Elaine'. This is what I think; it may very well be a tissue-cultered 'Dublain Elaine'. They then renamed it and claimed it as their own. I would NOT hybridize with it unless I used the term 'Unkown' as one of it's parents.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.