can you start grapes from a vine cutting?

Shirley, IN

my neighbor offered to give me some cuttings off her concord grape vines . can those be started with root harmone straight in the ground and if so is it too late to start them now? i live in indiana it doesn't get freezing till around end of oct mostly.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I was able to root one out of three (muscadine) cuttings about a month ago. If you can pull down a shoot to the ground and put a rock on it, your new grape vine will be will be well rooted by next Spring

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

hummingtammy,

Cuttings are usually taken when the dormant vine is pruned late winter. They are best started in pots and root every easily. If your neighbor is willing to layer a branch for you the way pbyrley suggested that could be done too, but I suggest heavy mulching during winter just to be on the safe side.

Shirley, IN

I will try both methods I am curious if started in a pot can it be sitting in a window inside my house also about how long does it take before I see any fruit will it be years?

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Not sure about Concords, but both green and red seedless take 3 yrs before they really begin to produce.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.