Burnt up!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Been a while and I can't say anything good about this years weather. Unpresidented 3 heavy snowfall winter '10 that killed most of my Deep Tx. plants,first of May saw 2 massive oaks that shaded my best shade plants fall in heavy rain and wind...most plants too big to move. This summer has been the worst in my memory. Triple digits and drought since the beginning of June. Won't know what all died in the yard until next year but I have lost lots of big hydrangeas,viburnums and azaleas. Just finished cleaning up & putting plant stock in nursery. Normally greenhouse is full ceiling to floor but this year I probably have less than 50% of normal plant stock inventory left.

First veg. garden was crushed under falling oakes...second was fried in heat & drought.Fallng trees also smashed the roof in on my little cabin but it is repaired & back up for rent...Yay!

I know some of you in & around my area are in the same boat and with that said..."Best wishes for a better gardening season in '12.

BUT...on a positive note...heat kept me in all summer working on Halloween props...LOTS of props so I'm looking forward to this year festivities. Attached are just a small sample of stuff I've made.

Thumbnail by bigred
Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

bigred sorry to hear all the problems you have been experiencing. i think everyone has had there gardens burnt up this year. crazy like you said first we swim then we crawl, and i am with you totally for a better season next year.
your halloween props are really cool though.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I may rant that I will quit gardening after a year like I had but I'm already shopping for seeds to replace all the fancy new perennials that I put out last fall & this spring that didn't survive this summer. Hope springs eternal.

Thanks.

Talihina, OK

Red on a happier note I started a fall garden and it is wonderful have Kale,Turnips,Mustard ,Chinese Cabbage and some chinese winter radishes so we have lots of fresh green veggies for lunch most everyday

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Good gardening Grits!

And I want to hear a bigred Halloween report. I know she always makes it a special event.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I am sooooo behind in posting anything, but love the photos you posted, Red. Give us some more...would also love to see what you did for Halloween.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.