Help with re-potting???

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

My Desert Rose needs re-potting and I was told to raise it up a few inches, and cut off that much root.
Is that correct? And then trim where necessary?

My plant is very full......I get LOTS of seed pods........but it has been too long since it was re-potted.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by morganc
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have about 30 Adeniums that are pot-bound and I resist repotting them because they look just as yours does - healthy and blooming frequently. What makes you think yours is pot-bound or needs repotting. Adopt the motto that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Your plant looks happy and healthy to me - leave it alone!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

That was an older pic.
This is more recent.

Thumbnail by morganc
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Well the whole idea of raising them up is to get a better caudex, they do not need a lot of soil beneath them,morgnac yours is so full you cannot even see the caudex, if it was mine I would raise it up.
This is one I raised up and cut the stems back growing out just fine.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

You are right. I kept meaning to trim it......but......life happens....and it grew sooooo fast.

So now that I am overwhelmed by its size....and weight......after raising it, do I cut ALSO cut the roots when I trim Branches????

Other questions........can it go in the garage instead of a greenhouse over the winter? I put our Plumerias in the garage and don't water them at all until spring. Of course our winter here is pretty short. But I would rather it bloom in spring instead of in the greenhouse.

We have it in cactus mix and water seems to go right through it. Been very hot this year....in the 100's......but it still bloomed and gave me seed pods.

Thumbnail by morganc
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Another question..........after I trim it, how long does it it take to bloom again? We are having a wedding in our yard in May......it would be nice if it was in bloom.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Don't cut the roots unless they are dead or damaged, or you have some bonsai look you're going for, or you're unable to provide a large enough pot. Trimming the branches gives you a lower, fatter plant. I don't see any such benefit from trimming healthy roots.

Arlington, TX

I cut mine back in early spring, not in the fall before their winter rest. It should be in its full glory in spring, regardless of when you cut it back.
C

Yardley, PA

After I raise the caudex, I do cut off the roots that are now above the soil line with no ill effects.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you all............I think I have a better handle on this now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.