gourd identification

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

Anybody know what these are? Its the only vegetable that really produced anything in my garden this year and I didn't even plant it. Thought at first it was a pumpkin but the fruit started out yellow and never changed color. The animals don't seem interested in eating it either- so is it ornamental or can I cook it? Maybe dry it out and craft with it? Any ideas? (the small tomato is a cherry tomato for size comparison)

Thumbnail by kat7
Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

Looks like some kind of curcubit to me- a crossed squash or pumpkin. (Maybe a cushaw? Or a spagetti?) Did you have one rot in your garden, or did you use some compost that might have had seed in it? I get rogue pumpkins & tomatoes all over from that- my compost doesn't get hot enough to kill them....

It doesn't look like a Lagenaria/hard shell/craft type gourd though. Generally they are smoother around the stem. And their stems are different too, come to think of it~not ridge-y

I'd cure it (leave it in a warm spot for a few weeks) and carve for a Halloween pumpkin. And maybe venture a bite or two when I do. But it may not be very tasty. Crossed squashes/pumpkins rarely are.

They are kinda cool though. I like the long/skinny look.

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks- that makes a lot of sense- did have pumpkins last year although not in that area- I figured maybe the birds left a stray seed. Didn't know squash would cross with pumpkings but that's kind of what it looks like. Guess I'll be makin Jack-o-Lanterns this year!!
Kathy

Decatur, GA

kat,
You might post this in the vegetable garden forum. Maybe someone there migh recognize it. I would say for sure they aren't gourds.
Helen

Crossville, TN

My "Squashy" friend who is here now says that it is a Spaghetti Squash....saute it is garlic and butter...or pour sauce over it.

P.S. cut in half, remove seeds, bake or steam then remove squash with a fork. It comes out in strings like Spaghetti. Jo

This message was edited Nov 19, 2011 8:05 AM

Castlewood, SD

yes that definitely looks like a spaghetti squash to me.. we eat them all the time here.

Crossville, TN

How did the Sp. Squash do? Report, please. Jo

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

oooooh I think it ws definitely a "spas-ghetti" squash. They make the best coconut pie for all us coconut intolerant.

Crossville, TN

HMMMMMM V E R R Y interesting! I am not a squash person...but I'll try it if you make it...LOL Jo

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

You betcha!!! On June Calendar...."Make Jo a "Squash" Coconut pie!!

Crossville, TN

GHEEZE I hada ask, didn't I??! Jo

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hee hee hee!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.