Do you overwinter coleus or sweet potato vines

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

We are having a cold spell which makes me think of losing the beautiful annuals. I have overwintered sweet potato vines by keeping the 'potato' in soil in the basement.

Does anyone have techniques for overwintering such annuals?
Kathy

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

sorry i dont have any, just wanted to let you know i am going to try what you do with my sweet potato vine.
kc

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The sweet potato is a tuber, so just let it go dormant in a cool, dark area and bring it outdoors into the light in April. The Coleus can be kept growing in water, as cuttings, until May, then planted up.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Just take coleus cuttings and keep cutting them back over the winter. Put them on a windowsill somewhere. I do this every year with the ones I want to keep. They do really well and all you have to do in the spring is plant your best cuttings and they'll grow again next year -- a never ending supply of beautiful coleus! Edited to say: they root easily in either water or potting soil.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2011 10:35 AM

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

yes, I also overwinter coleus, sweet potato, fuchsia, diamond frost euphorbia and I've done petunias in the past, not this winter. I take several cuttings from each plant, pull off the bottom couple of leaves, stick in soil, then keep in a sunny window, or under grow lights and keep slightly moist. They will root in a couple weeks. Sometimes a couple die, but most of them root nicely. I did try keeping the tuber from the sweet potato vine last winter, but this summer when I replanted it, it never grew. Luckily I had also kept a few cuttings. This entire pot is several years old, I just keep a few cuttings and replant every spring. There are probably 3 plants of each - coleus limelight, fuchsia, maybe Billy Green, can't remember, bought from WFF a few years ago, and dragonwing begonia

Thumbnail by cindyeo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.