Dorstenia ID ?

Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

Picked up a pot packed with these yesterday. I know it is a dorstenia but not sure what type. They were totally and completely root bound so I separated them. I hope they can handle aggressive root disturbance... I planted them in some loose cacti mix which I also hope is OK...

Anyone recognize this plant?

Thumbnail by plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is its flower...

Thumbnail by plexippus
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Check out D hildebrandtii. I have a very similar plant I obtained this past Sunday under that name (and I grow 6 other Dorstenia spp).

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Almost looks alien. I love it. I have to go and find one. I love the fat caudex.

Decatur, GA

I reread this old thread. I have several Dorstenias I can't ID either. The first is several years old and keep chugging a long.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

And here is a little volunteer I think is really cute!

Thumbnail by helenchild
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi helenchild! I do love Dorstenia and I have several. I've also lost a few already, to bad culture and to critters (they seem to be yummy to animals). The two plants you shared are both almost certainly D foetida. It used to be separate from D crispa, but they're considered the same species now. A friend of mine who grows and sells professionally says the Dorstenia volunteer seedlings in his greenhouse used to bother him, but now he just waits until they're big enough, pots them up, and sells them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.