forcing

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

anyone else potting up hyacinths, etc, to smell in the middle of the winter?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Never did that, wish I had more indoor room

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

If you saw the mad mess that has to be brought in....you'd understand why I haven't forced anything...yet...LOL

Phutthamonthon, Thailand(Zone 10b)

Many years ago in England we forced some. We planted them in a suitable fairly dry bulb medium in October and then put them in an airing cupboard until they sprouted, then on a frost proof window sill for flowering when they were about 2 inches high if left in the dark much longer they would grow weedy. If I remember correctly they flowered around Christmas time.

Chardon, OH

Pot up hyacinths, water and put into the fridge for 8-10 weeks. Then bring the pot into the house and watch it go. Plant multiple pots over several weeks and you can have hyacinths for weeks when the snow flies.

I have an extra fridge in the garage just for forcing bulbs.

Another thing I do to save space in the fridge is I plant the bulbs in leftover flower trays from my annuals purchase the previous spring. Then when I am ready for some flowers in the house, I pull a few now rooted bulbs from the trays and replant them in a pretty pot for the house. They tart sprouting and voile, instant spring.

When they are starting to get spent, I just go back to the fridge and pull out a few more bulbs, pot them up for the house and in a few weeks hyacinths again.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

You sound hard core Phyllis : )
i have a dedicated fridge too & wondering, if i pamper them, can they be forced for more than one year? I will try the flower tray this year. Ideally, i like to start planting them early sept but can't get the stores to carry them that soon...do you order yours for forcing?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.