Attempt #2 - Conquering the Bank

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Attempt #1 was planting ditch lilies on the bank. The sweltering heat this summer made me realize I needed a hardier plant.

Attempt #2 - The mexican petunia was absolutely gorgeous and actually seemed to relish the extreme heat and minimal water. I discovered that it is laughably easy to root in just plain water. So Attempt #2 is going to be mexican petunia.

Check it out. I snipped a bunch to start rooting and this is what greets me in the morning.

The only time these mexican petunias seem to become "aggressive" is when they get regular water. No hope of that on that bank so they should behave themselves.

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Can you show a picture of the bank?

Upper Marlboro, MD(Zone 6b)

I've fought a bank for years. I used to weedwack it but can't do that anymore so I wanted something that would choke out the weeds and Hosta came to mind. It is lovely in the spring but the bank faces west and by mid to late summer the poor hostas are burnt. My latest idea was going to be daylilies. You have saved me another failure.

I need to read up on Mexican Petunias because I haven't heard of them.

Thumbnail by bigtrot
Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

This is the bank - Apr of this year

Ditch lilies were sparsely planted throughout the bank.

The daylilies at the bottom were just in a holding pattern.

Dawn

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

bigtrot - those Hostas are gorgeous!

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm going to leave the few surviving ditch lilies in there and plant the mexican petunias throughout the bank. Let them duke it out.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Dawn there is a species of sedum that is a ground cover, and it would look very good there. I really don't know the botanical name of it, but I have a little bit of it, and it is doing well here.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

defoecat - This summer was just about entirely over 100 degrees everyday. Alot of the days were at least 105 degrees. And not a drop of rain.

I have sedum but even they have not done that great this year.

Do you happen to have a picture of your sedum?

Dawn

I'll see if I can get one today, it is raining and may not have a chance.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

rain? what's rain?

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Catzgalore, I've read about this thing called rain, it apparently falls from the sky like cats and dogs,but I haven't seen any :)

Sorry, didn't get a picture yet. When I was walking this morning, noticed the house next door has some at the end of the culvert which is at the end of their driveway. It has been out there all summer, in extreme temperatures, more rain than we knew what to do with this spring, and in drought conditions, and it is still looking good. Will take my camera with me in the morning and get a picture of that patch. Mine is in a pretty sheltered place, and probably looks better than this that has been exposed to all kinds of weather.

This is the sedum at the neighbor's this morning.

Thumbnail by defoecat
Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I think I'll stick with the Mexican Petunias. They are in the front of the photo.

That blaze of purple on the bank will look so pretty.

Dawn

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

BigTrot...Check your D-Mails. There's an offer from me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.