3 Edith Wolford'
3 'Generosity'
5 'Love is'
3 'Rainman'
3 'Sultry Mood'
15 NOID white/purple
3 NOID short medium purple

spent $30
Got from "Travellover" Anne - she is not a member but is here - i can give her email address or phone number is anyone is interested. She has only a few left of some, but grocery bags of others.

I will be waiting until Thursday to put them in the ground as we will be having a freeze tomorrow night (mid 20's over night). Very excited!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks like winter already.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

It was 32* in the back yard this morning...YUK!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That is the neighborhood of our overnight temp on Sat. Boy this is comming on fast.
Will we get an Indian Summer?

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

they say it is supposed to warm up here and be above average for a month or two. I am praying for a long one!!

I know its bad, but I have the reflective posts up in the driveway for snow plowing already....

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I just picked up some great ones on Dee's Pacific NW sale that she used to run on here. $3.00 each, can't beat it.

Broken Heart
Bubbling Surf
Fiesta IN Blue
Island Pearl
Living Easy
Mandarin Music
Never Been Kissed
Raging Tide
Tahitian Lagoon

And I thought I was done, LOL.

Anyone planting irises now in zone 4 need to mulch them. I found thta losses happens when irises didnl't get a chance to become established before freezing weather. The alternate freezing and thawing tears the roots so they heave out of the soil.

You can put flat stones on the planted iris. I usually plant my iries a bit deeper than recommended. I also don't plant or divide past mid-August.

Any mulch should be placed after the ground freezes.

Below is Edith Wolford

Thumbnail by
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love Edith Wolford,its going to bloom in 2012 for me.
Such an unexpected color combination.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I will have a BOAT load of oak leaves that will cover all the beds this fall - once they start falling. It is warming up a spell here so I will be planting this weekend. Now I cant wait until next spring! I want to see them all bloom!
I also got in the mail yesterday a huge clump of 'Bob Faulkner' and 3 'Eye Catching'. They are soaking so I can plant them tonight. I have a lot of work to do this weekend....and with the hubby gone, I can whip out the "white tornado" and get it all done with no interruptions :)

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

About late planting: I try to get my new rhizomes delivered asap, like end of July, but this year I got some in Sept that have only little bitty roots starting. Also have critters tunneling into everything, but the ground is still fairly dry. I am thinking about doing something radical. Several new ones are planted on a mound and I will suround and sink into the ground a half barrel of plastic then mulch with evergreen branches and needles. Before it rains (if it ever rains), I will cover the top. It is an experiment to see if I can keep them drier than they usually are and prevent rot. Yes they will need some kind of ventilation, haven't thought up that yet.

Quote from caitlinsgarden :
. I am thinking about doing something radical. Several new ones are planted on a mound and I will suround and sink into the ground a half barrel of plastic then mulch with evergreen branches and needles. Before it rains (if it ever rains), I will cover the top..

I am not clear on what you mean.

You are one zone warmer than me. Why not just plant them deeper. Soil is a great insulator. You can also pot them up and sink the pot in the ground. I have done that with shrubs and a Clematis. Come spring I planted them.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I planted all mine today. I will just hope for the best. They have really good roots on them (most of them). Not too worried.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Oh I just like to think of complicated things to do that I never do anyways! I have lost a lot of irises to rot where they touched the ground, and especially one year when I "mulched" with soil. Had a hard time figuring out just when to remove the "mulch" as we had freeze/thaw/freeze really bad that year..So I am trying to keep the growing ends out of the ground. .I will let you know if any of my great experiments ever amount to anything!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Keep us posted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.