Columnea gloriosa

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

I've been growing this Columnea gloriosa for the past few years under conditions of low light and almost total neglect as a scraggly hanging vine with dull-green velvety leaves. I've been quite surprised that it has grown at all and extremely surprised when it started blooming a couple of weeks ago as it is no ugly duckling!

I was a bit surprised that there is no entry for this species in DG plant lists. I hope to make an entry for it and include this picture there as well.

If you know anything about this plant please post about it here as I'm now trying to mend my ways and give it the best culture I can.

Thanks,

Allan

Thumbnail by atisch
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Great job, Allen!! Nice to see you again :) I have a couple of different ones and I grow mine in an east window. Maybe this will help you out a little: http://www.gesneriads.ca/gencolum.htm

Connie

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Here's another link you might be interested in : http://pss.uvm.edu/pss123/gescolum.html

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Connie,

Thanks for the information links. They are very helpful.

I know I've been away from DG--and Gardening in general--due to severe lower back problems. The whole goal this year was to put all of my very limited effort into trying to keep as many of my plants alive as possible. The best news is that I had spinal fusion surgery the first week of August, and I'm now moving around more comfortably than I had the past 8 months or so. I'm cautiously optimistic about being able to resume my passion by next season.

Allan

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh, that is wonderful news!!! I pray you continue the path of success with the healing process. Please keep in touch with me from time to time. I am quite sure I can help you resume when you are ready :)

Connie

Montgomery, AL

What glorious blooms! They're a celebration on your recovery. I noticed one of your hoyas pictured on a recent Daves Garden newsletter. Your plants are probably thrilled to have your full attention again.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

It's a beautiful plant Allan.I hope you have a speedy recovery with your back.

Lynn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.