Seeds "from" the Goodwill

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I was at the Goodwill in town and they grow Iris on their property.
No idea what kind or color, but I hit the motherload of snatching! And there is still more yet to ripen.
If I can get photos of them, how likely would it be to be able to ID them - minus the color?

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

here they are...well, the seeds anyway

Thumbnail by minnesippi
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Irises that set that many seeds make me a little suspicious it might be Iris pseudacorus? Get a pic of the foliage, and ask the people inside if they recall them being yellow. I hope not, as those are invasive.

It could be something else, of course. Crossing my fingers it is.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

i dont think the landscape company would have used something invasive, but who knows. Im gonna run over there tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It's a common landscape plant. Read a little about it, so in case that's what it is you'll know what you're dealing with. It's a heavy seed setter is why I'm thinking.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, I just called the Goodwill. They believe they were purple. I will be stopping by later today to get a picture.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh good! Maybe they are siberians, then. That's awfully heavy seeding for siberians. But that would be wonderful, who knows what beauties you might get out of the mix. Good luck with it!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I have my fingers crossed!!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

well, here are a few pics of the iris from the goodwill.

Thumbnail by minnesippi
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

another

Thumbnail by minnesippi
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

and one more

Thumbnail by minnesippi
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, they're not siberians. You can tell that from the raised line in the leaves. So, if they're blue, possibly versicolor. But they still look like pseudacorus to me.

Maybe someone else will come along to help?

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

are they 'blue flag' do you suppose?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

If by blue flag you mean versicolor, maybe. Blue flag refers to different iris in different places.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

yes, it was the versicolor that I googled

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

It looks very close to siberians to me; probably Ceasar's Brother. Mine always produce gobs of seeds. Did the seeds come packaged like that? Can you take some out of the pkg?

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I have siberian, I dont think those are it, but could be.
No, i have packaged them. I will get a pic of them out of the package - i realized I probably didnt let them dry out enough.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It's not a siberian, as I said above you can tell that from the raised line in the leaves. Siberians do not have that.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Oh, I took pics of the seeds.

Thumbnail by minnesippi
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

and another

Thumbnail by minnesippi
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Were your pods dark brown, hard and dry? Your seeds don't look as dark as mine when they are ripe. I can't go and gather any because I deadhead daily so as to give more strength to the plant. They may be common Blue Flag iris. Be sure the seeds are dry before you package them in plastic bags or they will get moldy.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

95% of what I grabbed were "grey"(dirty brown), hard and "rattling". They are not as dark as my siberians. Those get really dark. They are also not the same shape.
Initially I had bagged them all and realized I had some that weren't dry, so I dumped them all out into the top of a paper box so they can dry further.
I dropped some into the yard here at work already. I know they wont flower next year, but rocks are ugly all by themselves like that :) But I work with a bunch of guys, who dont care about stuff like that - so I forgive them :)

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, good luck with them, whatever they are.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.