My pomegranate is dying

Damascus, Syria

I have a pomegranate tree in my home garden and it seems to have many pests please help me ID these pests

maybe it's Zuezera pyrina???

Thumbnail by anasem
Damascus, Syria

whole shoots are turning yellow

Thumbnail by anasem
Damascus, Syria

... and this seems to be a mixture of aphis and ash whitefly

Thumbnail by anasem
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

I recently had a similar, but not exactly the same problem on a cherry tree. After weeks of investigation there were no signs of primary problems above ground, only secondary problems like die back and bug infestations. Trees that have damaged or compromised roots (or trunk damage)are very susceptible problems like this. In the end I was only able to determine the exact cause after removing the tree and it's entire root system for further investigation. I had phytophora root rot, probably caused by planting the tree to deep and the soil never drying out here in Seattle. Not suggesting that's your problem, but if there is no obvious cause above the soil it might be time to start digging around the soil and looking for causes.

If you grab the trunk of the tree and give it a good shake back and forth, is is stable and well rooted?
That was my first clue I had root trouble. I could rock the trunk of my tree about a foot in any direction. It was a good caliper too, almost 10"! Then after a terrential downpour the tree lurched a foot to the left on its own. That's when I decided to remove it, it was at risk of falling over on it's own.

Here's my saga about the cherry.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1190413/

Hopefully this gives you a place to start.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.