How do I kill ferns? Really kill them

Omaha, NE

Hi to anyone reading this. I live in ne. Ive been trying to kill ferns. Why? They have spread like wild fire. Five & ahalf ft. tall. Now in the sun and look awful by July. Tried roundup after I pulled off leaves last year. Should have left leaves on? Their still growin! Now Im digging! oh my! Runners are everywhere, 6-12" underground. Im not young enough anymore for this brutal digging.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Sounds like Bracken? Can you add some pics?

If it is Bracken, mowing / cutting in the spring when the new fronds emerge is the best control.

Resin

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Roundup is only absorbed by fresh, green leaves. Spraying Roundup on dead leaves or on the ground is ineffective as it will never be absorbed by the plant. It should really be used on vigorously growing plants in the spring or summer.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Or weedeat them to about 3-4 inches tall then Round-Up them. The left over stalks from the weedeating will absorb the Round-Up in a hurry. I do this frequently on brushy material and it works quite well.

Resin, do Bracken ferns get that tall? Mine only get to about 2-2.5 feet. I was thinking more along the lines of Ostrich ferns as they spread quite readily too.

Doug

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Bracken often reaches 1.5-2 metres tall

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Amazing! Thank you.

Doug

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

in the shade Bracken fern don't get much over 3 ft
in the sun easily over 6 ft here on the north coast

Dick

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info Dick! Haven't seen you around in a while.

Doug

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

hi Doug
i check in every morning do a quick read then goto work
and fall asleep in my chair in the evenings :-)

Dick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.