Late Summer @ Joannabanana's

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Our normal average 1st frost is usually Sept 15. This year it will be much later and the weather is great to enjoy garden. I have a mix of plant material, and plant annuals everywhere. A little garden tour. (Hail damage a couple of weeks ago knocked a lot of blooms off)

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

front yard

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Side yard

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Back yard

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Roses in pots

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Back door

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

GH & Sitting area

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Arbor with ball of Hens & Chicks

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sunny bed

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sort of heart shaped

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Love the orange

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Tomato vine did well in this hot spot

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Patio area

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Most of the veggies have been harvested. Tomatoes still going

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Tomatoes got hit by hail, so a little damage

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A few herb & tomatoes in the GH

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Little shady bed at the backyard gate

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

REALLY nice, Joanna. So much color for this late in the season for you !
I wish I had that much color right now.
Your flowers are always really beautiful. Great job !

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

Stunning! I wish my yard looked this good! Actually, I wish it looked 1/2 or 1/4 this good!

Thanks for sharing!

Natalie

Orange, CA

Sinply gorgeous Jonna - truly a labor of love. I see a green house -- are all your flowers grown from seed? I guess Calgary gets a lot of rain to help with watering. We are parchedr here in SoCal. We are lucky if we get 13" inches a year. Thanks for sharing .

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

My you have been busy! We love all the pictures. Simply beautiful.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for all the great comments. Yes, I do start a lot from seed...but also buy a lot too. We have had a great year for moisture, so that has helped...but really cold in May & June so it feels like we had a short summer. Most perennials seemed to be about 2-3 weeks behind. My sweet peas really changed over the weekend (they got hit with hail a couple of weeks ago) so I took another photo tonight. This is the 1st time I tried Swwet Peas and they are awesome! They face NE and seem to do well there.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

For this being your first time growing sweet peas, they're AWESOME !
Areas along a walkway like that are perfect for them. Just keep them from forming seed pods and they'll continue to put out a lot of flowers. (You're going to be deadheading for days with as many vines as you have ! LOL )
I'm starting mine this weekend.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I hope to start my sweet peas this weekend too.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

What are your sweet peas growing on? They are so tidy!

Natalie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I "cheated" a bit. Bought a flat of sweet peas in a 606 (6-pack), so 36 plants in May. I have bamboo sticks (6 feet) holding the plastic green mesh. I've attached the poles to the house with a zip tie and small nail under the bottom siding. The space between the sidewalk & house foundation is only about 6", so I do fertilize them once a week.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

I don't think that's cheating! Mine were all bought as plants since I never could get them to grow well from seed! I attached chicken wire to the fence and they always looked awful! I finally took them out. Are these the perennial ones? That is what I had. I think I need to try some annuals as they smell so nice! I also need to get some green mesh! It really looks awesome!

Natalie

Pretoria, South Africa

Your garden is beautiful! Love your sweet peas. I grow mine in winter because our Summer is too hot. Would love to have the fragrance in Summer though...

Elsa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.