How big a pot would I need for English Lavender?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

How big a pot would I need for English Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia or vera) to grow fairly well?

It would not necessarily have to [u]thrive[/u] and reach maximum size, but flower and live for a few years?

I have heavy clay soil, rain 7-8 months per year, and would rather amend just a few pots to have very fast drainage, instead of a whole raised bed.

Also, my yard is small and I just saw some Lavender in the Oregon desert that was 3-4 feet across! I don't have room for much of that.

Corey

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm in 7A with that horrible clay soil too!! All my lavender are in the ground - although with a townhouse I don't have lots of room. I think it would depend how big you want it to get. I've seen lavender flower in 4" pots. I would probably go with a 3-5 gal size though if you want to go the pot route. That should allow them enough room to get a nice size so you can enjoy their fragrance. Good luck!!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I think I was carried away by seeing these huge gorgeous Lavenders in the Oregon desert. I'll move them down a notch in my "must-grow" list. Maybe before I get to them I'll move to a drier climate and/or have some soil that drains worth a darn.

But if I get those Lavender urges again, I'll start them in a one-gallon pot and keep my eyes open for a 3 gallon pot.

Corey

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Come on down to California - not the southern part which is a desert and water is a shortage. Northern CA is good - good soil generally, and close to water sources

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.