Pachypodium horombense has grown like a weed

Yardley, PA

My P. horombense has grown like a weed. Between bringing it in for the winter, having it under lights and the s/h it does not lose it's leaves for the winter.
Just love the shape.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

That is one awesome looking plant.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Sally, I am always amazed at how perfect your plants look. There are no blemishes nor discolorations of any kind. I guess growing indoors helps prevent insect/weather damage? In any case, your plants are always beautiful. Gotta get a P. horombense! As far as I've seen, they tend to be pretty pricey, even for small plants. How quickly do they grow?

Decatur, GA

Your plant is a beauty Sally. Your techniques are impressive.

Arlington, TX

Sally I love that plant! I don't just mean this species, I mean the overall look of your plant.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks Helen. I looked at the one on Ebay and the leaves look different from Sally's plant. They are longer and thinner. Is that because it's a young plant? The seller seems to be pretty experienced at selling Pachypodiums.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Sally, your plant totally rocks. Do you know how old it is? One of my Pachys also holds onto its leaves year-round. That's a serious bonus.

My experience with Pachypodiums is that they change in appearance over time. To some degree it's an article of faith that skinny baby starter plants will turn into obese blobs. You can see some older plants from the same vendor on this page, just to get a sense of how they grow up.

http://www.out-of-africa-plants.com/Specimens.htm#p_anchor

Decatur, GA

I always enjoy Out of Africa plants. In fact I get there weekly email updates and have bought a number of plants from them. The ebay site I noted above is the same seller.
I have put my pachys into s/h this past summer and they are doing well. I expect them to do even better next summer. Some seem to back slide. They got soft and deflated and I thought they were goners but have since grown new roots and plumped up. Cheated death again.
Helen

Yardley, PA

I keep mine under lights and watered in the winter so they also keep their leaves. Thank you for all the compliments. They definitely seem to like being outside for the summer. I believe they have grown faster being in the s/h. This plant was bought about 8 years ago. All of my Pachypodiums keep their leaves for the winter.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

So do you water year round?

Yardley, PA

Yes, I do water all year round so they don't go dormant.

Decatur, GA

Sally, I was reading an older thread you started in July about this same plant. You were wondering if it would flower. I am thinking know that maybe such a mature specimen might not bloom if it isn't allowed to go dormant. Just a thought. Do your other Pachypodiums that don't go dormant bloom?
Helen

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I also water year round, but even P. lamerei plants go through a brief leafless phase here before they start their spring growth. There must be some voodoo magic in your system, Sally.

This plant (P. makayense in 4" pot) was completely bald for months before it started leafing out in late July. Hey, better late than never. At least it has a pretty good looking stem when it's not in leaf.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Yardley, PA

My other P. densiflorum that flowered and had seed pods did not go into dormancy either. Now when I say that I am pretty sure they have slowed way down in the winter and nothing much is happening even though they have their leaves. The same happens to my adeniums. They don't lose their leaves but there are no flowers or any real growth. So there probably is some sort of dormancy.

Baja you P. makayense is gorgeous.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.