Operculicarya pachypus

Yardley, PA

I am so excited I have finely found a Operculicarya pachypus! I have been looking for years for this. I have a very large Operculicarya decaryi and it is one of my very favorite plants.
Just took it out of the box. Can't wait to see what this does in the next few years.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

Just brought in my O. decaryi for the winter and it has grown like a weed. Just love this plant. The truck texture, shape and leaf shape is so unique.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Sally, these last two plants are so awesome looking. I have a pachypodium that is struggling. I think I'm going to put it in hydroton or maybe a gritty mix. It's leaves are very pale. Maybe it's getting too much water lately.

Decatur, GA

Again, Sally your plants are spectacular.
Where did you get the bucket with the little handles the O. decaryi is in? Many of the plants I moved to s/h this summer are thriving and starting to get too big for the containers I got from FirstRays. I need another source.
This is a great site for unusual plants. I didn't see an O. pachypus today I believe they have had them in the past. Perhaps this is where you got yours.
http://www.out-of-africa-plants.com/index.htm.
They also sell on eBay as African-Plants.
Helen

Yardley, PA

I actually get the bigger containers from a restaurant supply store on-line. I think it is call servu. I will have to check that. I did get the O. pachypus from the Great Petaluma Store. I have been look for the pachypus for years.

Decatur, GA

Sally,
I just ordered an O. pachypus today from Out of Africa. This thread had peeked my interest in the plant but never ran across one until today. So I bought it. Its much smaller that the one you got but OofA usually sends sturdy plants. Wish me luck!
Helen
ps: how is yours doing?

Yardley, PA

that is great helen. I love this plant. this is one of my favorites. the trunk has such interesting texture when it gets bigger. Mine are doing great. They has stayed in full leaf thru the winter so far. This plant really likes a lot of water in the summer and partial sun.

Decatur, GA

Thanks for the tips Sally.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

WOW did you see this Operculicarya pachypus in EBay, over $600

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

That makes me wonder how old a plant has to be to get a fat caudex like that. It must take some time. How much of the trunk starts out above ground on these plants? Sally, have your plants been pruned a lot? I read somewhere that O. decaryi is an African equivalent of our elephant tree (Pachycormus).

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

This is the add, with 1 hour left.
Operculicarya pachypus Gigantic Caudex New Growth 2
Returns: Not accepted Buy It Now
or Best Offer $699.00
Free shipping

Decatur, GA

My little O. pachypus is hardly in that class and only cost me $12.50. When it arrives I will post it's picture
If I can keep it alive and growing I will give it to my daughter in my will. Maybe by then it will be big enough for her to sell on eBay for $699! That would make me happy.
Helen

Decatur, GA

correction - I paid $20

Yardley, PA

I do prune mine a lot. At least once a season. It probably will take a long time to get to the $700. range!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Helen where did you purchase yours from ?

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

The one for $699.00 is offered by cactusbylin. They are a very reliable seller and I'm sure it is a great plant .... I won't be buying it though!

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

The Out of Africa catalog is pretty vast. Going through it is like visiting a virtual botanic garden of succulent seedlings. The baby Fockea they have right now is adorable. Helen, I think I see your O. pachypus in there. Pretty big for a year-old plant.

I like the fact that they have plants at all price ranges. I could never afford most of the specimens, but I still enjoy looking at them.

Decatur, GA

Me too Baja. I almost always only buy seedlings to keep the budget in bounds. I learn a lot perusing catalogues.

Decatur, GA

Here is a picture of my tiny O. pachypus, which arrived yesterday. The stem has a nice curve already but I don't think it is even 4" tall. I will need to protect it this summer. I think it will be at high risk.
I couldn't resist the other plant Euphorbia validia, new to me. Love the patterns.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Yardley, PA

Great looking plants Helen.

Gardena, CA(Zone 10b)

I purchased a six inch diameter O. pachypus from Out of Africa auction. The plant has a few leaves and small roots. I also purchased two small seedlings and think that it will take more than twenty years to make a six inch stem. I also have a four foot O. decaryi that grows about four to six inches a year.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2015 9:21 PM

Decatur, GA

I loved to see a picture of your new plant. It must be quite something. My little P. pachypus didn't make it for long. :-( Maybe a year. But my P. decaryi are doing fine. They are cool with nice warty trunks. One is small, around 10 inches tall and the other, which I call my big one, is about 21/2 feet tall. Nether compare to your 4 footer. Is it growing in a pot? Greenhouse? In the ground.

Gardena, CA(Zone 10b)

I grow my O. decaryi plant and O. pachypus outside in pots. The plants are starting to lose some leaves and will take some photos of the plants. I believe these plants benefit from good air circulation and daily temperature differences of Southern California coastal communities. I used to use a small heated greenhouse, but it is difficult to get good air circulation and moderate humidity. I am going to visit the person who grew my O. decaryi later this month. He pollinates and grows O. decaryi plants. I would like to buy a larger O. decaryi plant.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2015 8:26 AM

Gardena, CA(Zone 10b)

I took a photo of the O. pachypus specimen and O. pachypus seedling that I recently purchased from Out of Africa Nursery.

Gardena, CA(Zone 10b)

I will resend the photo of the two plants.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2015 5:38 PM

Thumbnail by kuni12345678
Gardena, CA(Zone 10b)

I just purchased a O. decaryi that is four tall, but the trunk is not as wide as the one I purchased two or three years ago at the Los Angeles Intercity Cactus and Succulent Show. This plant has more knobs on the trunk. I purchased both plants from Duke Benadom and believe that both plants are about the same age. I was told that both plants should flower next year and I might have a male and female, but I think that both plants will be male.

Decatur, GA

I love the fat caudex of the O. decaryi, I assume, in the picture. It has a great texture. Are the ones pictured from Out of Africa?

Gardena, CA(Zone 10b)

This a photo of a O. pachypus and not a O. decaryi. I purchased another 4 foot O. decaryi from the same grower and both look like small trees. I saw three O. decaryi plants that were over 12 feet and 6 inch diameter trunks. I found a nursery that has for O. pachypus for sale from $200.00 to $750.00. The sizes of the plants range from two inch to five inch diameter trunks.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2015 12:56 PM

This message was edited Nov 22, 2015 1:06 PM

This message was edited Nov 22, 2015 1:26 PM

Gardena, CA(Zone 10b)

I have one photo of one O. decaryi and another one with both O. decaryi and one O. pachypus located in the rear of both O. decaryi.

Thumbnail by kuni12345678 Thumbnail by kuni12345678

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.