Mushrooms, plenty this year!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Due to all the rain we had i've noticed lots of different mushrooms around my area. Some have grown extremely large, as large as bowling balls!
Thought that since i've got this many, those of you south of me should too. I was thinking if we've got to be this wet we might as well find something other than the rain and flooding to talk about!!
Lets post the different shapes, sizes and colors we come across.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Another

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

If anyone knows what kind they are feel free to ID them. I haven't clue.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

This one I found poking up thru a piece of plastic on the woodline.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Curled edge

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Trio

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

This one was darker and good sized.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

side look

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Some of these are along the woodline, some under the pines, in beds of clover...

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

These are on the edge of the shade garden.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

One of my favorites

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Funky top on this one

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Another one I like

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I have expect to see a little face underneath the 'hat' and see it start dancing like in the Disney movie "Fantasia".

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Tiny ones too.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Funky

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

This is my least favorite

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thought it was dog poo when I first saw it!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

This one I found while clearing DL debris out of one of my gardens.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

These were growing at the base of one of my JM's.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

The next 3-4 are all growing under a big pine.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

#4. Last one, another one of my favs, love the brushed orange color on top. ^_^

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Cool!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Pretty big one you have there!

I always get some mushrooms, usually the end of spring/ early summer. About 50 of your curly tops. sometimes more, very few in the lawn area which is exposed to the sun, maybe two or three. About 98% of them pop up where I had an old oak tree removed it's a shady area about 30% sunlight. Unfortunately I don't think I took any pics of them this year because I find the ones I have unsightly.
- I did have a very pretty one growing in one of the potted tropical plants that I have, sort of pink/ yellow/ white, - classic shape. It also had an unusually large upturned ring feature underneath the cap. I'm pretty sure it was poisonous. It only lasted one day.

At this time of year I usually don't get any, I guess the soil has dried out enough and their cycle is complete for the year. The sandy soil here drains fast and with the dropping temps we slowly switch into winter mode. The soil is not as waterlogged as it is with snow and ice melt earlier in the year even with all the rain we've had lately.

- You've got a very nice collection there, I used to visit this forum just to see their pics,
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/fronds/all/

they've had some great shots of mushrooms at ground level, - almost surrealistic. I'm sure they'd like to see your pics too and can identify most if not all of them.

- Very nice Celeste!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks WC!!! I'll go take a look around, looks like they could def. help ID them!
"Unsightly"...you mean like my dog poo? LOL

No, not as bad as that.. (lol!) - they weren't 'guey' or wet, they're the 5th one down, the one you call 'curly top', but they were very clumped together. They don't harm the area underneath, last about 2 weeks until the temps started to get warm. - gets kinda messy when I run over them with the lawnmower, but I usually wait until they start shriveling up before I do. I figure they're part of the whole picture, so I dont eliminate them right off the bat.
- everything has a reason for 'being' I suspect. ☺

Thomaston, CT

The pretty orange with the warty top is Fly Agaric....deadly poisonous! The ones with the little holes under the rhodies are Earth Stars....These are tiny favs of mine..Bird Nest fungus, but they're old, & the 'eggs' have disappeared from the 'nests'.

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

This is Witches' Butter....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

Noid....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

I think this is an amanita....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

And another Fly Agaric....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Nice Robin and thanks for the ID's!

Thomaston, CT

Your welcome...I have no mushroom field guide (thank you, Garret Douglas), but the IDs came from my Audubon guide.....

Here's a good professionally done video of Fly Agaric, by a professor at Oxford University. Although it does contain poisons it was used in ancient times, by the Celtic tribes to induce a hallucinogenic effect. - it's also one of the more prominent symbols in folklore associated with 'fairies' from the same area of Europe. Apparently it is presently available for purchase in the UK. (- not into that stuff, but the info and the correlation to culture is interesting..) ☺

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mAlpI58qww

Thomaston, CT

Wow...scary stuff!

Not really, many medicines used in cultures such as Chinese, South American, American Indian used plants and fungi which contained toxins to cure maladies, the key was the right proportion and preparation of the plant. I've read that some of the medicines we commonly use today are in fact derivatives of those compounds which we manufacture in large quantities because obviously growing them and using them as those cultures did wouldn't be cost effective and there would be little quality control to ensure the uniformity and safety of the product.
If I'm not mistaken the big drug companies are always researching those plants and looking for ways to use them.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You grow 'em big up there Celeste!!!!

Mine are all pretty small...have to go get some more pics as some came out blurry

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Twins!

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.