The 7 lb giant zucchini

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

My son received a 7 lb giant zucchini as part of his compensation for helping one of my garden club friends batten down her garden and patio for the recent hurricane. I have already made some of it into chocolate zucchini cake and chopped it up with some of our tomatoes into a pasta sauce. The rest is going to be another chocolate zucchini cake and zucchini bread.
What have any of you used grated giant zucchini for?
Martha

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

What is chocolate zucchini cake????

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

It's yummy! :) http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Zucchini-Cake-III/Detail.aspx
Hi Martha, I make pineapple zuccini bread, zuccini spiced cookies and of course chocolate zuccini cake. ^_^

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Thoughts after waking up at night to take two Tums....

I hope that I shall ne’er salute
A seven pound zucchini fruit.
In a house of empty nesters
Super squashes rot and fester.
Though good in cookies, bread or cake
An excess gives one tummyache.
The worst part of zucchini habits
Is they multiply like rabbits.
So if one giant fruit appear
A myriad more will soon be here.
The stumbling block, or bar or hitch is
Sheer embarrassment of riches.
So even though I raise zucchini,
Preferably they will be teeny.

Thomaston, CT

Wonderful, Don! I did raise teeny zucchini this year...only about 4" long....but I also raised the regular ones, too. I make zucchini pancakes,,,,just like potato pancakes, but replace the potatoes with grated zucchini....very important to get all the moisture out...really squeeze it.....

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

This is the only giant zucchini for us this year. It came from a friend's garden. all of our green zucchini plants croaked right after they got their first flowers. We had a few small yellows, but nothing since.

Though zucchini I adore,
There is no need for any more.
Martha

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Chocolate zucchini cake is, well, Yummy! Makes a nice moist chocolate cake which is more like banana bread consistency than regular cake. nice for a bundt pan. Can be eaten un-iced. Uses 2-3 cups of shredded zucchini, depending on the recipe, which can be the tough seven pound variety. You do have to peel the zucchini because the skin at this stage is very tough.
Martha

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I will post my recipe here since I will be baking another cake tomorrow for an event I have to hostess on Wednesday.
Martha

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My neighbor made chocolate zucchini cake and my kids LOVED it

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

made the second chocolate zucchini cake Tuesday afternoon and two zucchini breads for my garden club board meeting. The last of the shredded zucchini is right now baking in my shepherd's pie. It was a fine gift from my friend.
Martha

Thomaston, CT

That is really using 'tail to snout' on a zucchini!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's the chocolate zucchini cake recipe. I got it from Simply Recipes online.

2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour {I have substituted 3/4 cup whole wheat flour for some of the ap flour}
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup softened butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional}

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10" tube pan or a bundt pan.
1. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside
2. Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Stir in vanilla and zucchini.
4. Alternately stir the dry ingredients and the milk into the zucchini mixture. If adding nuts, combine these in last.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes. Test at 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 15 minutes; turn out on wire rack and cool thoroughly.

You can ice or glaze this cake, but it doesn't really need it. Freezes well.
I shred the zucchini in my food processor.
The recipe says it makes 12 slices, but we got 20 out of it at my garden club meeting last week.
Enjoy!
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Martha, that sounds yummy!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Just finished baking a chocolate zucchini cake and zucchini bread is in the oven. I might get to curried zucchini soup yet tonight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.