Country Cider really looking bad

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Received this plant about two weeks ago. Looked pretty good when I got it, then started wilting after a few days. Felt almost dry, so I watered it. Now I'm not sure if it was dry ENOUGH to water, and I contributed to the problem. This is how it looks now. I've had it domed for almost a week, and if anything, it looks a little worse each day. Question: Should it be on a pebble tray when domed? Should it be decapitated? Roots look okay. Thank you.

Thumbnail by Seaecho
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

It's really hard to tell from the photo.I would take it out of the pot and examine the roots and crown.If there is rot,remove it and let it dry for an hour or so,then pot in a damp....not wet, rooting mix,If there is no rot,do the same,but if it's soggy remove the wet soil before planting.It wouldn't hurt to dust it with a fungicide,like sulphur.If any leaves are still firm,you may have to try to start a new plant.

Lynn

Forgot to mention,no you don't need a pebble tray if something is domed.With African Violets I actually prefer to let some air in.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

The only firm leaves left on the whole plant are the tiniest leaves at the crown. I'll repot it and hope for the best. Thank you so much.

If the stems on the other leaves are mushy,it's best to remove them.If you are working with only the tiny crown leaves,use a small pot,and be careful about keeping it too wet.Let us know the results!

Lynn

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I'd repot into a smaller pot, something 1/3rd the leaf spread. I think that pot is WAY to big. There's hope for this plant!

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I'lll repot it first thing tomorrow morning. (Very carefully, lol). I'll let you know how it does.

Randi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.