Need Help in Piedmont NC rearing Monarchs - looking for MWs!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello!

The heat took a toll on my MWs and afraid I will not have enough to feed the cats.

I am looking for reliable sources of MW and am willing to go to great lengths! :)

Your thoughts/ideas/leads are appreciated!

~Amanda in Greensboro

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

MW = Milk Weed? Is there a local native plant society, they might provide you with a source. Also, Sandy Mush in Leicester, NC, carries them and they do mail orders I believe. http://www.sandymushherbs.com/

Good luck and keep feeding those kitties. :-)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Craig's list .. under Wants and Farm and Garden .. put an ad up and see if anyone nearby has any growing and would be willing to let you harvest. Greensboro has a city link there .. that would probably be your best bet .. make sure you post a picture of the milkweed because I'm sure there are a lot of people who have it and don't know what it is .. offer up plants or something in trade.

If you don't already have an account on Craigs and don't really want to get one let me know and I'll be happy to post for you - just d-mail me and we'll work it out.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh thanks, yep - I'm familiar with Craigslist and thought about that yesterday. Have a few DGers not far who have offered to let me come and get some off their property/fields. Might be okay with that, but just feeling around for sources. I can't just run up to the health food store for a bunch like parsley for the BST - they've been so (relatively) easy! ;)

Will keep you posted.

A.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

The museum of life and science in Durham has a beautiful butterfly garden, perhaps the folks there can provide info.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good idea, thanks. :)

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Do you still need or want some milkweed? I have plenty and could harvest some for you. Might could meet half way since it takes about an hour, 15 min. for me to get there. Let me know.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Mel - if I need it I will let you know. It's been a bad year for bugz. :/

A.

p.s. I am in a grad program at NCSU so it wouldn't be a problem for me to come to you. I'll keep you posted. :D

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from AmandaEsq :
p.s. I am in a grad program at NCSU so it wouldn't be a problem for me to come to you. I'll keep you posted. :D

Wow that's exciting!
Go Wolfpack! My husband is a graduate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.