Planting bulbs in rocky clay soil

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Does anyone have a tool they like to use when planting bulbs in tough soil? I've seen the bulb auger advertised (the one you hook up to a hammer drill). A friend of mine used one, but it burned the drill's motor up. I don't know how heavy duty the auger was, though. I have been using a leverage bar with a pointed end (driving it into the soil to get some depth) and a pickax. It is tough to use that method when you are planting a few 100 bulbs! There must be an easier way! =)

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I use the prybar method myself! I do use the mini auger at times but find the prybar works best for me.

Have you tried rototilling that area?

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I personally have used a trowel that I sharpened to plant a couple of hundred bulbs. I've used a tree/bulb spade. I like the spade because I can stand on it to drive it into the ground and it has a long enough handle so that I can pull back on the handle while I drop a bulb in next to it.

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Delightful_Dawn, how does the mini auger work for you? No, I haven't tried rototilling, but that is a great idea - we only have a small tiller, but I think my in-laws have a rototiller they would let me borrow.
Doug9345, what kind of tree-bulb spade do you use? Is it the type that looks like a cylinder? I have always wondered how sharp those are.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

No it's the kind that's basically a narrow long spading shovel.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

ericabelle - the mini auger works great except in areas where there are tree roots. Then you run the risk of the drill yanking itself out of your hand when it hits a root. Lots of torque. I've used to quickly break up small areas that I was about to plant in.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I use the auger, but if it's not doing its thing, I'd check to see what's going on before blowing the drill motor. If the soil is too dry, you might want to add a little moisture and amend if possible. When faced with a lot of bulbs, I often dig a large hole to th proper depth, and space out the bulbs and cover them with soil. If you've got a lot of roots, such as from trees, you might want to pick a different spot or raise the bed. Most bulbs need reasonably good drainage, so a raised bed might be profitable in several ways. And they don't have to be large or expensive, just deep enough to hold the soil.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

If the soil is so hard that you need a pry bar and a pick axe, then an auger's cutting edge will dull in no time, especially if the soil is rocky. Likewise, I'd be amazed if a small rototiller could do the job. I think a big one would be your best bet.

somewhere, PA

I use a spade and a japanese grubbing knife in my very rocky soil. If the spade won't go in, the grubbing knife can work through the rocks. I don't think there's a fast way to deal with rocks!

Tam

San Diego, CA

What kind of bulb will grow in heavy rocky clay soil? Will they naturalize?

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Good question, dreamjourney! It sounds like soil that is so bad, how can it possibly grow any bulbs? I have planted daffodils, but some of them did not come back their second year. I have also tried spanish bluebells, and very few came up even the first year. The hyacinths have done really well. And I have had lots of success (knock on wood) with crocuses - I planted them last fall, and they all were large and beautiful in the spring. I am hoping I will have crocuses next spring!

somewhere, PA

I bet Camassia would do well.

San Diego, CA

ericabelle and Tammy thanks for the replies.
I am going to try to naturalize brodiaea queen fabiola on my heavy clay soil this year. I heard it is native to California and have low water needs.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I've been planting in GA red clay soil for the past 15 years. I tend to do some raised beds, and I also have bought a lot of soil conditioner, top soil, and composted manure that attracts the earthworms that act like Mimi rototillers. ;-)

The red clay is reported to have more nutrients than other soils, and I'm able to grow all kinds of plants including irises, peonies, daylilies and many spring blooming bulbs, and various kinds of lilies. Last fall I planted over 3000 bulbs by hand individually using a hand held tool that has tines on one side, and flat edge on the other that works well here. Occasionally, I'll use a pitch fork if I have to get a deep hole and I've bent many a tine on them, LOL, but it does help.

I'm ready to start making a dent in planting the >1700 bulbs that need to go in this fall. It helps when it has rained a few days which helps to soften the soil for planting.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

If you are planting blubs by the hundreds try renting a trenching machine, this tool is usually used for laying pipe underground. It can be set to cut a very deep trench.

You can add soil amendments when back filling.

Tritonia, a S.African bulb, if I remember correctly>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.dewitstore.com/item/3065?referer=tools
This is what I have been using for years in my clay soil
It work like a charm ... and worth all its money

or you can buy it half a price here:
http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?c=&p=60532&cat=52&ap=1

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

OMG, drthor where were you 1500 bulbs ago???? LOL, Yes as I stated above, I hand planted them individually as I've alway done. That tool looks wonderful.

Dale, the trenching machine sounds great, but typically I layer bulbs and will plant over areas that I've planted before, to add bulbs like muscari, crocuses, and Dutch irises on top of my tulips and daffodils to get a nice mixed border.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey that is a great looking tool. I have bent so many bulb planters here it isn't funny. I have clay soil that packs horribly.

I am usually on the daylily forum but I do have some bulbs. The deer eat my tulips badly but don't seem to like others.

Teresa in KY

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.