2 new clematis

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I just picked up 2 new clematis. 'Pink Champagne' and 'Rouge Cardinal'. They were only $2.25 at Walmart so I could not resist! We'll see how they do. I sometimes have luck with clematis and other times, not so much. But for the price...I'd be CRAZY not to try them! ;o)
If anyone has any experience with these two, Id love to hear about it.
Sherry

Athens, PA

Sherry

I don't blame you. I would have picked them up at that price as well. I picked up Piilu earlier this year and he has grown quite a bit, so I am encouraged.

In the fall, I plan on heeling him into the dirt, while he is still in his pot for the winter. I think he will have a better chance that way.

Carolyn

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

They have both done well for me, SherryGirl. You did get a great price on them!

Thumbnail by pirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Wow pirl!
That 'Pink Champagne' is gorgeous! Now I have a problem. I haven't got my 2 clematis planted yet and it is going to start getting cold soon. The forecast for night temps for the next week or so are between 35 and 45 degrees. The daytime temps are forcast for 50 to 60 degrees. Do you think I waited too long to get them planted? Do you think they will make it?
Sherry

Have no fear. Today I planted three and last week I planted two or three others. Just make sure you give them the bone meal, manure, compost and a good drink of water. When you're done planting give them about 3" of mulch - any kind of mulch. It will aid with moisture retention and will maintain more steady soil temperature.

I still have four more to plant and one at a nursery is calling my name.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Yes, they do tend to call our names, don't they! lol I see your zone is much warmer than mine though. You still think it's okay to plant? And can I use pine needles from under my pine trees for mulch?
Sherry

It's not that drastic a difference and I am not one to live by zones. Yes, go ahead and plant them and, yes, pine needles from under your pine are just wonderful. It's what I used today and then topped it off with the long pine needles that we buy by the bags. If you don't get rain within a week please give them another drink. If you have water crystals you can reconstitute them in a jug and it makes it easy to spread them at the base of the hole so you won't have to be concerned when it's dry for an extended period of time.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Awesome! I will get them planted then. It might get to 28 degrees tonight, but after that it says 35 to 45 at night. Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement. I also have a beautiful new rose bush to get planted, so will get that in the ground too. I don't usually wait this long to get things in, but I separated my sternum at work and it has been VERY painful!!! Just now getting to feel somewhat better and hubby will dig the holes for me. ;o)
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

One more thing pirl. I think my zone is actually colder than they list it at. We get down to -17 or so in the winter. Many of my roses got damage over the last winter. But I think it was because we has real unusally warm temps in Feb, then hard freezing right after and through the rest of the winter. The weather has been very strange around here lately! And many people around here had damage to things because of that strange temporary Feb warm up that NEVER happens here. ;o(

Maybe I could have said the clematises and the rose won't survive planting so you should send them to me but I'd rather see you enjoy them!

The earth is much warmer than the air temperature so plant the clem's and the rose. We never know the curve balls Mother Nature will throw at us like the sudden frost that killed so many plants and trees a few years ago in April. That's just one of the challenges we face.

Glad to hear your hubby will dig the DEEP holes for the clem's. Remember to put them in at a 45 degree angle towards the support on which they will grow. You can further protect them, after the pine needles, with any broken piece of clay pots you might have.

Thumbnail by pirl
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Sherry, no it's not too late to plant, I was out planting roses today! Just follow that good advice from Pirl and also be sure to give your new plants some water during the winter if it's dry.

Generally my planting ends around December 8th. It's amazing how swiftly we can move as the weather gets colder.

On the warmer days of winter, without the nasty wind, I'll still go out and clip back astilbe stems or spent daylily scapes and even the ragged ends of clematises.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Yes Pirl, I putter out there all winter too when it's nice. And Sherry don't worry, my zone is colder than yours! Tomorrow's forecast low here is 19, brrr!

We're at 59 now so 19 sounds really cold but without wind and with the sun, it's okay with me. My ideal winter temperature is 40 - then I'm as happy as can be.

Sherrygirl - sorry I forgot to say I hope you're feeling much better.

I've worked outside for five hours today and only planted one clematis. I was trying to figure out what takes me so long and how I obviously sabotage myself. Putting a clematis with a hydrangea on a photo program is so easy but then going outside to do it I find other plants have grown to take up the required space or there's a color conflict going on if I proceed or some other issue.

Heading out now to try for the second and third clem's of the day but know I'll face obstacles...and overcome them.

Take a look at the roots on this Rooguchi (so many spellings for one plant) that a dear friend brought me from her own garden:

Thumbnail by pirl
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Wow, awesome root system, Pirl!

I know exactly what you mean about finding unexpected things to do in the garden! I had just a few perennials to plant when I started this morning, but it turned into more when I found things that were in the way that I needed to relocate, etc. Btw, it was almost 60 here today too (and 80 yesterday) but that's Colorado for ya - we may have a foot of snow by tomorrow night!

Thanks, Lisabees! It almost looks like a Halloween wig, doesn't it?

"...turned into more..." is the story of most of us who actually garden. No snow predicted here, thankfully, so get your boots ready in CO.

I did get the hole dug for an early morning clematis planting while I have the sun on my back.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from pirl :
Thanks, Lisabees! It almost looks like a Halloween wig, doesn't it?

Timely perception! When the roots are so big, can you split the roots apart like other plants?

I never even thought of it but since it was so lush I doubt that I would have considered splitting it in two.

Last year, when I had a helper, Neri, who has since returned to Guatemala, and we were making a trench between two clematises (Liberation and montana Grandiflora) so the montana wouldn't invade Liberation's spot, Neri dug out a huge clump that I assumed was montana and he split it and planted it on each side of an old pine. One side bloomed this past spring, when few other clem's found it warm enough to bloom, and it was Liberation. I'll have to check the leaves on both clumps to see which the other one is. So it can be done but I'd never have guessed the plant would even live no less flower this year.

Here's Neri as the shovel broke when he was digging the section of Liberation out of the garden.

Thumbnail by pirl
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree that splitting up roots is the last thing we think about when it is always the goal to have them big.
The broken shovel is testimony to the " monster " roots. Glad you had some young muscles for the task. Very interesting that Liberation bloomed. What a winner!

You said it far better than I did. Thanks.

Here's what Neri and I clipped off the montana and it's still overwhelming.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hi Everyone!
Well, I think this is my first post for this spring. :) Anyhow, I had to just laugh. My 2 new clematis that I bought at Walmart for $2.25 last year and you all encouraged me to get planted are up and have flowers! That's a good thing! But here are a couple pictures of my 'Pink Champagne' and 'Rouge Cardinal'. hahahahaha!

The 'Pink Champagne' actually looks like 'Nelly Moser' too me. It's pretty and all. but I already have that one and from Pirl's photo above, I REALLY wanted 'Pink Champagne' ! And the ''Rouge Cardinal' actually looks like 'Villa de Lyon' to me, which is fine because I LOVE that one!!! I already have that one, but it has always been kinda puny and I have been wanting to get another one.

Soooo. both of them were the wrong ones from what the tags said. But I am still happy to have them for that price. ;) But dang.....LOL

Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl Thumbnail by Sherrygirl

You're a good clematis grower, Sherry! I agree it's probably Nelly Moser and Ville de Lyon. You got some bargain!

Athens, PA

Very pretty Sherry and the price can't be beat!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Good deal! You are good clem mama!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.