What Is That?!

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

While looking from the deck over the wasteland that is my side yard to see what weeds had come up, I saw something that made me utter an astonished what the heck is that?! A landscapper friend of mine had dumped a lot of leafs, thatch and fresh grass last fall just as a lazy mans effort to slowly improve my dirt and rocks before I start turning it in to soil.

I spotted something that could only be a canna growing out of a pile of year old thatch!

You must understand that this is western Colorado, I have not given this area one scintilla of water and the underlying dirt is very hard, rock and clayish soil with a pH around 8. I grew cannas in pots during the summer of 2010 and a seed must have gotten over there somehow!

I will send a picture if it blooms.

Sometimes it is just a delight to find something that seems impossible. :)

Sonny

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Sonny,
It's always exciting to know what can really withstand the elements! Apparently, you know know that canna's can be real troopers! (unless you eventually find out it's something else,lol)
Good luck with it, apparently it loves your compost moisture. Think it will have the chance to bloom once before the cold sets in?
:)

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Merry Mary,

I really don't think it has a chance of blooming as we only have about five weeks before we freeze here. I will plant it in a pot in front of the south facing windows in a mix of peat, pearlite and compost. Should be interesting along with the plumeria cuttings I am planting tommorrow. :)

Sonny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.