What can I use in place of Hydrangeas

Riceville, TN

I have been planning to use Hydrangeas (the ones that are 8x8 or 10X10 at maturity and was all set to decide where I was going to order them from. Decided I better check out the Hydrangea forum and found out they are not deer resistant....was so disappointed. Can anyone provide me with some alternatives that would be that size?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Maybe look at Viburnums instead--some of them have a sort of similar look and they are more deer resistant. There are a couple listed here as rarely or seldom seriously damaged by deer http://njaes.rutgers.edu/deerresistance/ and I imagine other species would be similar. The only catch is that they tend to like more sun than hydrangeas, so I'd check out whether your site will provide enough sun for whichever one you decide on.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My oak leaf hydrangeas aren't bothered by deer as much as the others.
They have additional attributes of nice fall color and interesting exfoliating bark
They attain about the size you want. You might check them out.

Riceville, TN

Thanks ecrane3 and weerobin, You've both given me something to think about and check into. I've been so disappointed and dang mad at the deer using my daylily beds as a salad bar in years past that I'm gun shy (pun intended)!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have had deer eat my oakleaf's and leave other hydrangea alone - they seem to really like endless summer though

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.