Plumeria Pink Rainbow....

Palm Desert, CA(Zone 9a)

My wife bought on of these plants at the Garden Shop.
It came in approx. a 12" Plastic Planter and the plant was about 2 1/2' High.
She transplanted it into a 12" Ceramic Pot, that same afternoon.
Within 24 hours, it started to wilt badly.
We live in the Palm Springs area and days have been averaging 106-114 Degrees.
She watered it "light;y" after transplanting it, and by the next morning there were 2 Yellow Leaves.
It's supposed to like light, but is there such a thing as too much light/Heat after transplanting it?
It says to water thoroughly, but allow to dry slightly.
She watered it the afternoon she transplanted it, I didn't water it the next day, and then she watered it again this afternoon.
We have a Pulmeria that is at our next door neighbors house and that thing must be 10" tall and Thriving.
It is planted in the ground.
I’d ask them what they did, but this is “Snow Bird” Country and they don’t come down till December.
Any thoughts/Comments/Suggestions would be appreciated.

Roger

noonamah, Australia

What did the roots look like when it was transplanted? Yellowing in one day suggests something was already wrong. Do you have photos?

Virginia Beach, VA

In my experience it is normal to me to see transplanted plants wilt and lose few leaves. Are the stems firm or soft? Did she transfer all the dirt with out disturbing the roots?
I own at least 40 plumerias in pots and in late fall they get out of pots and are placed in rubber maid containers to overwinter. During spring they get repotted and some turn yellow sometimes.

A picture might help likeTropicbreeze asked.

Someone here who are experts will help.

Belle

Palm Desert, CA(Zone 9a)

Well Gang, it looks much LESS Wilted this morning.
I will try to post 3 pictures.

Thumbnail by wwotr
Palm Desert, CA(Zone 9a)

Heres Pic #2

Thumbnail by wwotr
Palm Desert, CA(Zone 9a)

and Finally Pic#3

Thumbnail by wwotr
noonamah, Australia

I'd say it's okay. When plants are growing luxuriantly and then get root disturbance, especially in hot weather, you can expect wilting due to the interuption to the water flow within the plant. And it's not unusual for leaves that are already getting a bit old to senesce more rapidly.

A lot of mine are flowering now but without any leaves as it's still our dry season. There are others I have that don't lose all their leaves. But generally you can tell by the firmness of the stem whether the plant is dehydrating. They like hot sun and don't mind a lot of water as long as it drains very well. Our wet season the ground stays pretty well saturated but they only do well where the drainage is excellent. On the other side of things, they are pretty drought tolerant as well.

In a pot the drainage should be good. I'd just make sure the soil is damp at least.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Sounds to me like transplant shock. It should adjust nicely, once it gets used to it's new environment. I judge water by the "finger" method. Poke your finger in the soil as far as you can, and if you feel moisture, it doesn't need water. I do spray the leaves when I'm watering my other pots however, as I've had issues with spider mites the last couple of years.
If you are threatened with a freeze this winter, move it to a protected location.

Palm Desert, CA(Zone 9a)

This brings up another question.
I live in the Palm Spring's area.
I USED to not only water my Plants/Bushes, but spray them down as well, (Leaves, Branches, Flowers ect).
Then it dawned on me that this might not be a good idea, as water tends to "magnify" heat ??!!
Is this correct or an old Wives tale, or is it permisable on some plants, but not others?
We have a bunch of Rose Bushes and up until a couple of months ago, I was watering the whole plant.

Thoughts/Comments?

This message was edited Sep 3, 2011 10:43 PM

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

In my personal opinion, in hot, windy areas, washing off the whole plant is necessesary to remove the dust and bugs, but early in the morning or late afternoon, so the foliage dries before nightfall. Cool and damp creates fungal problems.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Roger, on pic. #1 May I point out that the saucer on the bottom of the container retained water -- that impedes air movement to the root system. Also your question on spraying the entirely plants. Humidity created from spraying is okay, however, the radiated heat reflected from the wall and croncrete below would be an issue when temp. is high.

Palm Desert, CA(Zone 9a)

Occarol & Lily,
Thank you BOTH for your input.
I think I'll elevate that Pot above the Ground
To get some circulation.
I usually water all my Plants between 10am-1pm, so
I think I'm OK with the "Fungal" issue.
As far as Winters, every potted plant is underneath an eve (10' Depth), with no Frost
and the Coldest temp we've had has been 39 Degrees, in February.

noonamah, Australia

wwotr,
don't mention it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.