Seeds

Dayton, OH

Does anyone know when is the best time to plant Coneflower seeds?

Lake Stevens, WA

I saved mine last year and planted in the greenhouse end of January -1st of Feb.
Someone else will write soon that knows more.

Dayton, OH

Thanks Sping

Hamilton, OH

I typically start early march for echs using F-bulbs. If you have a decently lighting system, you could get started earlier.

Dayton, OH

I don't have any room in my house to start seeds. They have to be planted outside.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Winter sowing works best for them. I use milk jugs or two liter coke bottles.

Dayton, OH

Thanks Maniac, do sow early winter or late winter?

Do it around Dec 20th. Look up winter sowing on here if you haven't done it before. It's so neat and tons of seeds will come up. I winter sow everything.

Dayton, OH

Thanks Maniac, I don't think anyone ever told me about ws on DG.

Homewood, IL

I think I must have the most viable coneflowers/coneflower seeds on the planet. I must have gotten a pot or two from a farmers market once and the darn things have been growing like weeds ever since. I don't do anything special with the seeds, I don't even harvest them. I made the mistake of leaving the seed heads in place over the winter for the birds for a couple of years. Well the birds didn't really eat the seeds but boy I have been getting a wonderful crop of seedlings since then. The seeds germinate very well in the coarse composted bark mulch that I use. I wish I could get them to stop being so fruitful and multiplying as they are going to take over my beds. I have given these away to other gardeners each year with no real drop in the population.

So basically for me I don't do anything very special and other than one white variety my coneflowers are not particularly fancy ones but they are definitely fertile ones. Since I have seedlings come up throughout the growing season I am thinking that when to plant them is more a function of if you want to see flowers or not. For me seeds that germinate in spring will generally flower while those that grow later in the season don't. I am in Zone 5b just south of Chicago, so it gets pretty cold in the winter. I AM DEFINITELY NOT SAYING that the techniques that others have mentioned are not good ones but that for me they have not been necessary. My plants have been easy to propagate from seed with no fuss regarding soil type or timing for planting the seed.

I am starting to notice that cones have begun to dry and will be collecting them this year for a friend who will use them in a new garden bed she is creating. I hope they are just as happy in her yard as they are in mine.

Wish I had a picture of the latest crop of seedlings in my beds; they are about 8 to 12 inches in height and the leaves are pretty big. Before we get a frost I expect to see even more seedlings. Will probably begin digging them out soon and passing them on to others that will take them. If I don't dig them I think I would have only coneflowers in the beds at this point along with the lavender that has also gone a bit bonkers in my beds. I never thought that lavender would do so well in Zone 5b but Hidcote and Munstead are awfully happy here.

Roseycats good luck with your seeds and winter sowing. I've been meaning to try winter sowing and just haven't been coordinated enough to get that done yet. Keep us posted on your success if you can.

Homewood, IL

You didn't mention what type of seeds (variety or cultivar) you have. That could definitely affect which way you would plant your seeds. I am assuming that for some of the fancier types of coneflowers that I am assume are less aggressive, winter sowing will be the best route for you.

In my garden I have noticed that my purple coneflowers are much more prolific than my white coneflowers (well actually more of a very pale green at this point; don't remember cultivar). The white come up reliably every year but have not been quite as viable as the purple ones (Echinacea purpurea). I think to propagate those I would definitely have to be more deliberate in how I worked with the seeds. However, for the Eastern purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea), it wasn't needed in my garden.

Dayton, OH

Say Woman, I have White Swan, Pink Poodle, Doulble Pink Delight,Double Decker, Hot Payapa,Pink Parrie, MilkShake, I think one other kind. but don't remember off hand.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I left the seed heads on and I haven't seen one bird come to them. I'm at the point now where I have to cut them all off because there are hundreds and I don't want to end up with extra plants where I don't want them. They seem to be completely dry so I will probably save them and do a little winter sowing. That is the cheapest way because you don't need a bunch of lights or a greenhouse or a heat mat. Just a milk jug and dirt. :)

I bundled mine up and tied them at the botton of the birdfeeder poles. The goldfinches were out there eating them this morning. You should try it!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I would like to, please explain it to me. :) Bundle the up in what?

I made like a bouquet with them and used string and tied them together. I put them at the bottom of the pole that holds a birdfeeder and tied them at the bottom. There is a picture I posted on here. I will find it for you.

Here's a picture of it. I couldn't post it here with my phone.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/echinacea/5970344588/sizes/m/

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Oh! I see, you just tied the whole plant to the pole and you say they are actually eating the seeds? Maybe if they get used to this way of feeding they will eat them off the actual plant next year! I think you might be training the birds to eat from the plant, that is great! I was wondering how I could get these spoiled birds to eat from the flowers and bushes so I could get rid of the feeders, the squirrels drive me crazy. also I read the yard should be a habitat not a buffet line. Thanks for your help. :)

OH, great picture!

Homewood, IL

echinaceamaniac, what a cool idea. Just might try that next year. This years seeds were donated to somewhat starting a new prairie bed, so will have to use next years crop.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.